Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Thinking of buying a 2009 cobalt LT with 270,000 km for 1500 bucks... need a fuel efficient vehicle to drive to see the family on days off. Jeep wrangler doesn't cut it :) I was wondering what years i could swap the engine with if I need to... any information would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm probably wrong, but I feel like all of the 2.2 engines were similar enough to be able to swap them.

If I am wrong, then 09 and 10 would be your best bet. I'm more sure that they used the same engine those two years.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will drop in to correct me!

Edit: Yup, I was wrong about all of them being swappable. 09 and 10 look like your only options.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I believe the block is the same but 09 had only one cam actuator while the 10 has two. 07-08 have none.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yes if you swap the head.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet. Thanks for the info guys. Guess I might not pull the trigger on this one then.270,000 km is a heck of a lot. And limited to one or two years from a newer ish year of a vehicle.. might be hard to get a good engine at a wreckers...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But these engines can last a long time if maintained , some on here have over 600000 miles on a 2.2l.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
For $1500 even if it only last a year your a winner. You will save $500 in gas so you'd only be 1k down for a whole year.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What's that in miles?

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

That's only 170k Damn ya I'll take it. My cobalt had 135k and was running like new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About 170,000 miles.... 600,000 miles.. hmm. Well you guys have got me sold I think. I'm banking on the fact that the guy probably kept up with oil changes since it was still under warranty not too too long ago. Seemed like a lot of miles in only 6 years. Must have been almost all highway I'm assuming / hoping. Okay. I'm probably going to pull the trigger. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't include the whole story for simplicity reasons. It's a vehicle that was written off as it hit a deer I believe. Front end is busted up. Just the grille , headlamps etc. Should be able to fix it up for about 1200. Plus inspection costs etc. Worst case I figure it'll be 3 grand all said and done.. worst absolute case. Can't test drive it. But I'm going to pull the trigger I think. Thanks a lot for the info guys. Very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Paid $900 for this one 2 years ago, still runs like a champ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.