Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! A few months ago I spun a bearing in my 2006 LS (later model with coil on plug ignition and made a window in the block. I've got my hands on a 2008 2.2 and before I start on performing a swap, will a 2008 2.2 work reasonably (like just replace/reprogram the ecu) or should I sell the motor and just try to score an 06 motor like a smart person would have lol? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You will need completely different ECU, and I think a lot of other stuff is going to be different since you have the wuss motor. If you plan on doing any modding keep the block and rebuild your old head. Or yes, just find an 05/06 motor.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Swap, and do a relearn. IF yours had the single pack coil though you might have a problem unless you have all the electronics of the newer engine at your disposal. (TDM,TCM,BCM,ECM and ABS if applicable). You will at least need the ECM for sure because solid coil pack engines have a PCM and a seperate ignition module.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Didn't all 05&06 2.2 engines have the single pack? they should all be L61's

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Pretty sure the 05-06 coil pack fits on an 07-up. The reverse is not true.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Interesting. So if I wanted to get a LNF I would need all electronics with the engine is what you are saying?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Only if you want to keep individual coils.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm only $250 in on the 08 motor. Bought it from a coworker who wrecked his g5. Would it be worth putting in the legwork and swapping it or just selling it on CL and getting another L61 from the correct year. I guess I'm just asking if overall is the 08 motor a better basic product mess with?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I wouldn't really care one way or the other. Just curious in case I find someone with a built 2.2 engine for a reasonable price. Good to know though.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

The only thing that is really better is the block. At $250 for the enigine I would probably do some searching and find the extra electronics you need.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What makes the 06 the "wuss" motor? Just curious because i have the 06 l61 and looking to Build on it with some low boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I'll probably start on it this weekend and I'll post results and pics when it's finished. (It's not fair to post pics of an injured beast :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
What makes the 06 the "wuss" motor? Just curious because i have the 06 l61 and looking to Build on it with some low boost.
The 05 and 06 L61 motors came with a weaker block than the 07+ group. You should be able to run low boost (remember should) but if you ever plan on pushing more you would need to consider a new block in the mix.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 05 and 06 L61 motors came with a weaker block than the 07+ group. You should be able to run low boost (remember should) but if you ever plan on pushing more you would need to consider a new block in the mix.
I'd like to just run a very basic sc setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.