Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a 06 ss supercharged and I was wondering how difficult would it be to swap a turbocharged engine in it, and what engine would be best. The supercharged engine has 100,000 miles, and i want lower miles and always wanted a turbocharged engine. what would be best? could it even happen?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
it's possible yes. but you're going to need a major tune. IMO, it would be better for you to spend the extra money and build/rebuild your motor and swap a TC onto it

·
Registered
584 Posts
it's possible yes. but you're going to need a major tune. IMO, it would be better for you to spend the extra money and build/rebuild your motor and swap a TC onto it
What this guy said.
Plus I've heard you can get more power out of a turbo lsj than a lnf.

[The person below me is weird.]

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
also to answer original question, LNF would be the only motor you could theoretically directly swap. but you'd have to tune for the cams and their VVT, injectors, fuel trims under load and idle, buy charge pipes, intercooler, intake, downpipe, BOV and other miscellaneous things to accompany it. better off getting new rods/pistons and then turbo swapping

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dont forget its a different pcm so there for you would need a new wiring harnesses and all that other good stuff. So swapping and LSJ for an LNF is pretty much retarted.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
The LSJ motor you have in your car actually out performs the LNF when it comes to flow, which is why throwing a turbo on the LSJ's makes them better than the LNF. To swap a LNF into an LSJ, would cost you more than just buying a crate LSJ motor, and turbocharging it. The engine mounts differently on the LNF, so you would have to fabricate mounts, redo ALL the wiring in the engine bay and probably behind the dash too, you would either have to replace the ecu or somehow try to re-tune your ecu to run the LNF, you would have to get a different exhaust and intake, and not to mention charge piping, and an intercooler to which you would have to fab out a mounting system for your FMIC. Like I was saying, it's a lot of work and that's just everything I can think of off the top of my head. Just turbo your LSJ, retune for the turbo and go have more fun. Trust me it is worth it. And if you're worried about a 100k motor, don't, there are people with over 300k on their LSJ's running fine. Just keep up with the proper maintenance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.