Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this topic discussed several times before but I think my situation is a bit different do to an auto trans.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do an engine swap on my car. I currently have a LS with a 2.2L. I am thinking about the possibility of upgrading to a 2.0 from an SS. The only problem I see right off the bat is that most SS models are manual trans and I have an auto. I know that it is possible to do a trans conversion but its not easy to say the least.

My question is would it be possible to do the engine swap and swap ecu, bcm, pcm etc and have the car reprogrammed for an auto instead of a manual. I don't think that there were any cobalts made with this configuration so I would assume that it would have to be a custom tune. I know there were some SS cars with an auto trans but they use the 2.4 and are NA.

Would I just be better off doing an exact swap and then add FI later and have it tuned? Or possibly using the stock 2.4 and upgrading it? Would there be much of a difference in performance between the 2.2 and 2.4? From what I have heard, a 2.4 swap really isnt worth the performance increase

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The thing is if you install anything else than original power plant you will need a tune for sure. If you swap with and identical engine, it will just need to relearn the parameters (20 mins) and you will be good to go. Engines don't sit at the same place between standard and automatic.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know about the component placement. How does the relean work? Just run the car for awhile and it figures it all out? Would I even have to replace the electrical components if I swapped it with another 2.2L?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
If you took the 2.0 fi and put it in there, there would be a LOT of customizing that would need to be done. And you would need the ECU, BCM, and the entire wiring harness, and it wouldn't work with the auto. If you wanted it to work, you need everything for the swap, figure a way to make an auto wire into it and have a LOT of patience. Youre in MI and I am too, and Id be willing to help out with it if you wanted to, just know if you do the swap, it will take a while.

And dont do a 2.4 swap. Not worth the headache.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Relearn is pretty much self learn except CPS that needs a relearn on it's own if parameters are way off only.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

This is done by bringing engine to operating temperature and when all other parameters have relearned (20 mins) you floor it until rev limiter kicks in then immediately release the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You can, but this will just give you a confirmation that the relearn was successful. If you do it without TechII you don't know if it worked or not. You will only know if you get a DTC later down the road, usually P0303 which is not relevant, just the code put because ECM doesn't know what's going on, since P0303 is a cylinder misfire number 3 with no read error. Then you might have to do a CPS relearn again.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
if you do put in a 2.0L and make it work with the automatic then we want lots of pictures, I love custom projects!

if it were mine, id do what bankerbalt said and do the arp studs and boost

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Why not use the LSJ from the HHR SS? I'm pretty sure they came with an optional (yet slightly detuned) automatic. Thoughts?
I didn't know the HHR ever came with the LSJ. They do have the LNF tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.