1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow cobalters,

I have a problem with my cobalt.
The engine is vibrating and has a ticking sound,
The vibration feels like it is coming from the injectors/ malifold than from the engine itself, but i thought I would ask for more input.
Also when I'm driving, from inside the car on the passanger side I heard a whirling sound from the passenger side, I don't know how to explain it, but it just started doing it a couple of days ago, It'll make the sound for about 2 seconds, then stop, then 10-15 seconds later, it'll do it again.
If anyone has any input.. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think so?
Is it expensive & hard to change?
And.. would it be covered by warranty

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it comes and goes it is probably the A/C compressor kicking in and out. Move your controls away from front windshield defrost and turn A/C off to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Ticking is probably your injectors or valves, that's normal. Whirring sound could be timing chain but that's usually only heard at start up. As coby said, it could also be your ac clutch engaging and causing drag on the engine which is normal too

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't sound like a loose chain, more like a clicking,
But next Time I fill up I'm going to put some injector cleaner.
Is there a how-to to clean your injectors?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
^^from Direct Injection, sure.

I've never really came across standard injectors that tick like DI does...and if they're making noise then there is a mechanical issue with them.

I'd bet it's because it's getting colder out, and you're just hearing the motor chatter more. Same thing happens when you forget to turn on the heat in the winter and you crack and pop when you get out of bed.

It's genius :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
the temp shouldnt affect him, if your still in south texas its still 70 degrees. is your whirling sound only when driving? i would look into a wheel bearing

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^from Direct Injection, sure.

I've never really came across standard injectors that tick like DI does...and if they're making noise then there is a mechanical issue with them.

I'd bet it's because it's getting colder out, and you're just hearing the motor chatter more. Same thing happens when you forget to turn on the heat in the winter and you crack and pop when you get out of bed.

It's genius :)
It's not getting colder outside at all :eek:

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

the temp shouldnt affect him, if your still in south texas its still 70 degrees. is your whirling sound only when driving? i would look into a wheel bearing
It's while I'm parked too.
It doesn't affect my driving, the car doesn't pull or act any different,
Just heard a strange noise.
Might be what coby said - something to do with the A/C
I'm going in to the dealership to get a bunch of things fixed, I'll ask about it.
But with my luck, it won't be making the noise anymore lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.