Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having this error message come. I just replaced the cam sensor. and now i get this error message.

09 chevy cobalt
thanks
-cory

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are you sure you re-connected everything? P0010 is for and open circuit on cam actuator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced my cam sensor. im very sure that i plugged that back in. and that was the only thing i ever disconnected under my hood. i purchased the sensor from pep boys. is it possible the part failed? not like i could have tested it before using it. my gas was terrible today by the way after installing this new sensor. like half a tank gave me only 50 miles. mostly 60mph zones too.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Wouldn't be the first new part to be no good, I'd take it back and get another one. Your car should be running in limp mode which would account for the severely horrible fuel mileage

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I just replaced my cam sensor. im very sure that i plugged that back in. and that was the only thing i ever disconnected under my hood. i purchased the sensor from pep boys. is it possible the part failed? not like i could have tested it before using it. my gas was terrible today by the way after installing this new sensor. like half a tank gave me only 50 miles. mostly 60mph zones too.
What code did you have before you changed the sensor?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have the same problem. What would be the symptoms if the sensor was good?
That P0010 code refers to a CMP Camshaft position sensor. On a typical engine, it should crank when cylinder 2 is at top dead center (TDC). Far as seeing the sensor is "good" (good is a behavior) it should fire right up with no DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). I will ask at school tomorrow to see what ALLDATA and my instructor says about fixing it :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Ecotec variable valve engines are very oil viscosity sensitive and to regular oil changes. P0010 is a dtc set when the cam position sensor detects that the cam position hasn't followed ECM command. The cam actuators are moved by oil pressure. My guess is that last oil change introduced wrong oil viscosity.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ecotec variable valve engines are very oil viscosity sensitive and to regular oil changes. P0010 is a dtc set when the cam position sensor detects that the cam position hasn't followed ECM command. The cam actuators are moved by oil pressure. My guess is that last oil change introduced wrong oil viscosity.
That could be as well sir. SAE rates their oil for viscosity reasons, meaning, the higher the grade, the more resistance it has against the moving engine components. Most cars are rated generally 5w-30 (5 Winter 30 viscosity rating). So if you did a 10w-30, it may trigger a sensor to go sense a CMP is present and a distributor isn't.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I think the lap engine requires 0W-30 synthetic

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
My oil cap is labeled 5w30 and that's what I put (synthetic).

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My mistake then.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I've put the right oil in aswell. Actuator failure could result to some bad problems id imagine. My engine shakes a little at idle. Could I replace the actuators themselves, or does that require new cams?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If it were wrong grade of oil, then the oil has areas to go into the valvetrain that OEM spec oil cant get into. My teacher quoted "Ive never heard of a p0010, but a p0011 does ring a bell. Cars today are distributor less and rely on position sensors to mimic a distributor for spark timing. If the oil is too thick than what the manufacturer specs are, then your oil will slide into areas where its not supposed to go and that may cause to trigger a DTC (diagnostic trouble code)."
For vehicles with variable valve timing, camshaft actuators may foul up for when the sensor is outputing the signal voltage to the PCM and thats where the code is either too high or too little of voltage reading than what the PCM has it set in the EEPROM (permanent memory) of the PCM data tables and vehicle specific information.

Overall, you should get it looked at from a technician with an Oscilloscope to find its waveform and determine if its within specs of the CMP. It may be a camshaft, wrong oil, cam actuators, or the sensor itself.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
EEPROM (Electronically Erasable Prorammable Read Only Memory.

LAP engine has an "ECM" not "PCM"

Actuators work one way and are returned home or to detent by way of a spring. If you use a thicker oil than recommended or oil gets old and like tar the actuator takes more time to come back to it's resting spot and may cause a DTC to set.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here is what I think is going on, I know its a p0011 code, but obdII scanners, unless its a consult III or ethos, it will only give you a generic code.

Models: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

With RPO LAP 2.2L, LNF 2.0L

P0011-Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

Engineering has determined that casting sand and or non-ferrous (aluminum) machining debris in the camshaft phasers/solenoid valves can cause a hesitation/stumble and or these DTCs to set intermittently. This condition/DTCs typically will set very early in the vehicle's life or at PDI. When the technician follows the eSI diagnostic chart for these codes they may be led to ECM replacement; however additional diagnostics should be made before replacement of any parts. After inspection of the solenoid valve and wiring per eSI confirms correct electrical operation, check for debris. The technician should inspect each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly for torn screens or debris on the screens, then clean and replace as necessary. If the dtc continues to reset after thorough inspection and cleaning of the solenoid valves, replace the affected camshaft actuator(s) depending upon the dtc(s) that set.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What about mixing oils? Because I had no idea what oil came out of my engine when I bought it from the dealership, so I picked one. Royal purple ;) I know its horrible to mix oils, but I had no idea of what was in it. Even the dealership didn't know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I've put the right oil in aswell. Actuator failure could result to some bad problems id imagine. My engine shakes a little at idle. Could I replace the actuators themselves, or does that require new cams?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thats exactly what mine does, with the same error code.
i think i should just take this issue straight to a gm dealer and get this professionally done. Anybody have a rough idea how much this is going to cost me at the dealer?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thats exactly what mine does, with the same error code.
i think i should just take this issue straight to a gm dealer and get this professionally done. Anybody have a rough idea how much this is going to cost me at the dealer?
For and oil flush, I personally dont know how much they will charge you, but what will be done is that they will remove your valve cover and oil pan gasket, then dump diesel fuel to flush out all the oil. Sounds kinda odd, but thats how GM does things these days for flushing the motor from bad oil.

Make sure that GM dealership does their part on diagnosing, not just running a scan tool, then 10 minutes later, telling you that its a CMP error (it can mean lots of things).

Please next time read your oil cap, it says what is required by Chevrolet :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just had the same code on my 2009 LT. P0010 that is. I recently changed my oil and tried that recycled Valvolne in the Green bottle. The oil has an odd burnt smell to it, like it obviously already used. I'm wondering if I just need to change my oil. I usually just run Mobil Conv.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.