Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 cobalt, non turbo. CEL had evap canister code, so I replaced it and the fuel filter just because. Reset ECU, still throws the same code and also gets horrible gas mileage, replaced the gas cap as well and still nothing same code being thrown and still horrible gas mileage. Throttle body went bad months ago, i put a ebay used one on and the car ran fine after the re learn process and has been fine since, until now and new canister, new fuel filter and new gas cap and same CEL codes and gas mileage just keeps getting more worse. What else would through that code and what should i do to fix it!? gas is to expensive to keep dealing with this lol thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What's the code?

·
Registered
172 Posts
po496

purge solinoid ?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah purge solenoid or split hose at solenoid. Does it start hard after fill-up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the whole evap canister, that lil sponge was full of dust cleaned it the best I could. Whats the best way to clean that besides just beating the dust I out of it? Also the evap lines put up a fight to get off lol but it all went back together smooth. At first every time we'd fill up, start the car to leave, it won't start just cranks until you pump the gas, then it would idol rough for a couple seconds and then no problems at all until thd next fill up, besides poor mpg. Had to replace the TB with a ebay one last year and it worked fine, not sure if mass air flow sensor or something possibly and nothing to do with the evap or not. On alldata when we looked up the code it also had other codes that would throw the evap code but just kinda got stuck lol. Do you have to relearn everything just after a evap canister change or what am I missing?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Purge solenoid in the engine, that easy huh lol. I hope so, never looked into it. But ill put one on tomorrow and let you know. That would kill gas mileage as well right?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well when you have a check engine light on the ECM falls on default settings. If you change the purge solenoid and it clears your code then your ECM will read sensor values and trim fuel mixture accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So ....????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good thanks"!!! Hey so I cut my girls muffler off of her cobalt and put a staraight pipe so it looks clean and stock cause she wanted it loud and Im a mechanic kinda lol. So I did it it looks and sounds good. Does that kill gas mileage? If so then what would kill MPG, cut off muffler with a pipe or full cat back exhaust and intake?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That should not affect mpg. Wait for a tankfull to go through I'm sure it's going to be better if your daughter doesn't race with the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.