Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I bought a cobalt yesterday for a great price I couldn't pass up, however the CEL is on and I scanned it and got P0442,P0449,P0455 stored and all 3 pending. I have never owned a chevrolet let alone a cobalt and never dealt with anything evap related other than a gas cap.
Was wondering where to start with this and how to test what needs to be tested.
I have ordered a haynes manual for the future as my local auto part stores have stopped carrying books.
Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Could be a couple of things that come to mind. One is a bad vent control solenoid. It could be stuck in the open position. Do you know if anyone has worked on the car recently or anytime before you purchased the car? It would be important to know if someone has done something like changed the fuel pump. Damage to the plastic vent lines can happen if someone was not careful and may have broken a line or nipple that said line attaches to. Also something I’ve learned over the years is that when putting these lines back in place, they should be lubricated so the o-ring seals. Sometimes no doing so will cause a small leak to be detected in the evap system. It is possible the evap vent control solenoid has gone bad. Not uncommon on a vehicle this old. Usually since a fuel cap is cheap, I might just throw a new one on. Even an oem cap with the cap the tether isn’t very expensive.

Have you cleared the code to see if it comes back with the same code yet? I would record the initial codes you’ve got, then erase them. See if they come back. Or if something different shows up to rule out a possible electrical issue. Not very common, but a shorted connector or solenoid can cause something like this.

I have been wanting to buy a smoke machine for evap system and vacuum leaks. Having one can really take the guess work out of finding such leaks. The machines can be fairly expensive. But really speed up the diagnostic process. So for my shop it would be pretty helpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts