Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 2.2 cobalt and i'm wondering if this car has the evap systems like the chryslers have? i ask because i smell some gas around the car and i don't have any codes for evap. i smell gas around the filler area so very well could be the cap but on my pacifica i get a cod for a bad cap and the cap is new so it must have a leak somewhere but i do not smell gas. so the pacifiac send out a code. the balt i smell gas and no code that is why i'm asking. plus when i did a readiness monitor test the balt had some items x ed out and did not test for them so i'm wondering if it even asked to test them. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If the top of the fuel pump cracks and it leaks gas or fumes from there it will not set a code. At least not at first. Southern states and a recall for this at some point.

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
If the top of the fuel pump cracks and it leaks gas or fumes from there it will not set a code. At least not at first. Southern states and a recall for this at some point.
If that happens, would the EVAP purge make the knocking noise still?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this car is in michigan it's whole life. i looked for a recall and i have had it in for the steering and the ign. and such for those recalls but they never said anything about a fuel pump recall. i guess i can drop the tank and see. but first i may change the cap that is where i could smell the gas. i do not see anything leaking on the floor. but i can smell gas in the garage, at first i thought it may have been the snowblower and the gas can for the blower as that has a spout on it open but when i move the car to different locations i smell gas and it is too coincidental to be other cars all the time so it must be mine. but i get no evap codes that is why i ask. i put the harbor freight scanner on it and some items have a x in the field so i figure that my car does not get tested for those items.

i have to take a drive today so i will hook up the scanner and send the info back here for your evaluation on what is getting tested and not tested and the results i can glean off the test. maybe that will help with what may be going on before i start working on it and spending money for no reason.

plus i do not hear any noises from the car when it is not running if that is for some testing it does when it is off. but then i can't hear good so i may never hear it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You don't need to take the tank down to check for the cracked fuel pump housing. You can see it with a mirror has the white plastic discolors along the crack seam. The crack will be right along the large locking ring. Or you could bring it in for a smoke test if you have a $100 to spend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coby this is what i found. gas leak #1 the gas line had a rust through after the filter. so this go around i cut out the rusted section and installed rubber gas approved pressure hose and clamps. that was the large gas smell from just being in the garage and around the car. the smell from the gas cap may have been from the vent pipe coming from the top of the canister. if that is open with the key off then it may be normal but as that may be the way the tank is open during refilling to let the gas into the tank without flipping the pump nozzle .

second i did a smoke test. i did not know the test port on the purge valve had a schrader valve in it run the test with my homemade smoker for an hour and did not get any smoke to the gas filler. so then i took off the tee connection at the valve and noticed the schrader valve in there so i just used the opening from the purge valve.

the gas cap was good but i had smoke at that area so i took of the tire and inner fender to find the large pipe from the top of the canister has smoke coming out. the key was off so this may be normal if it is not then i may have to change out the vent valve.
again maybe why i smell gas there

the picture link is the scantool after i ran it this morning. it check i/m ready so the 2 xed out items may not get tested for smog testing. being this system look to me to be a real basic system. but take a look and tell me if it is ok. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No link...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nope ''Drive not found''

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Worked for me - scanner showed a big X next to EVAP

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that x has been there for a long time. so i'm curious if that test is done on this car? on my s10 it is the same and i have no faults and the green check is on also.

i ran that test on my pacifica and it took a bit but the evap x did turn into a check so the scanner does run that test or at least show if it has been run based on the pacifica.

what i don't understand is the green check mark stating all is ready, if it is needing the evap test to clear out?

so when i did the smoke test i has smoke showing from that tube that up next to the filler behind the panel. so tell me when the key is off is that vent open? that pipe goes into the canister at the top and it looks like the canister vent valve is in that area so i'm thinking those are connected somehow. if that valve is open when the key is off then that may be why i had the smoke showing at the pipe. the gas cap tested good, when i opened it up just a bit smoke showed when i clicked it the smoke was gone.

so i think the gas smell this thread start out at is fixed and if not then the fuel filter is bad at the outlet o ring and i will change it if i smell the gas again like before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i took it out yesterday and it ran good no engine lite came on it did not have one before but after i messed with it you never know? after the plug got changed i noticed the idle is up some and smoother, but that may be just wishful thinking as i may have been watching closer. did not smell gas yet but i'm not going to say that is fixed until a few weeks that i do not smell gas around the car.

one thing i can say though is if i did get that fixed my distance to empty will increase, not just throwing gas away as i drive. plus with the gas leaking from the ruel rail side it was under the pressure throwing the gas away much faster. i will try to powt an update soon.being i'm retired and don't have to drive everyday it will take some time to gather more information to share.

another thing i have noticed over the years is the batteries run down faster now on cars with computers, and after dealing with the evap on 2 cars now i understand why. so all m cars now have maintainers on them.

thanks for the help

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Yep - my Cobalt sits on a Battery Tender through the winter, inside my garage (I don't drive it year-round anymore), otherwise the battery will be dead in a couple weeks (or less, depending on how cold it is). But a lot of that is probably due to my sub amp, and alarm.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't have the amps and such on the balt and it drops in a week or so. the lebaron a 91 does the same. my corvair did it bad years ago as i use it for car shows and i had a ton of radio items in it looking for signals and they drained the battery in a few days so i put a tender on that, now it can go weeks before the battery drops because all those items are now gone. back then they were just gimmicks to attract attention for trophies but now i go to the show and do not care for trophies anymore just like going and talking to the people.

i got an adapter for the fuel filter the other day and just about dropped when the salesman told me 15$ for a double ended pipe 12" long. but then i looked on ebay and they were more costly there so for now i do not feel so bad. if the smell returns and it may at least i have the part to repair it better. but before i do i will get a new filter and assemble it on the bench then under the car. to many things in that are in the way to do the job easy. thanks mp81.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.