Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as i have commonly read online and from many sources that lowering involves quite a bit of knowlage in order to do it safley and without altering the saftey of how the vehicle rides ect. is there an expert out there who wants to take the time to explain this system to some of us newbies in good detail? im considering lowering, but i want my car to remain stable ect. also how will this all effect warentees ect? the full story lol

Jake

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Easy man! Get the springs you want, SSC or pedders seem to be the most common, get yourself some struts/shocks for it. Take it to a shop to have them install and align for you. You're done, a little expensive maybe, but not too hard. :)

However if you want to do it yourself, you are going to need a spring compressor and be able to take your time in doing it. THEN you are still going to have to get it aligned or you will eat through your tires VERY quickly. Just my $.02 though :). If you need more help on doing it yourself, feel free to keep asking all the questions you want as at least I am here to help all those willing to learn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but doesnt this effect things like turning capabilities, the way that the car can handle certain maneuvers, allowable tire size, ect?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
in a way yes. If effects turning capabilites a lot as you will be able to turn MUCH better than the stock suspension. The handling will be a huge noticeable difference, I can garuntee that. Tire size, yes, it will effect that a little bit, but not much. As long as you aren't running 245/45/18's or bigger, you will be good, can garuntee that too :-D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet, sounds like ive got myself a nice little project ahead of me. i wanna drop out a little of that wheel gap and get better turning capabilities, im thinking i will do this right after i do a sway bar

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you do not get new struts, how long r the stock ones gonna last?

·
Registered
137 Posts
so as i have commonly read online and from many sources that lowering involves quite a bit of knowlage in order to do it safley and without altering the saftey of how the vehicle rides ect. is there an expert out there who wants to take the time to explain this system to some of us newbies in good detail? im considering lowering, but i want my car to remain stable ect. also how will this all effect warentees ect? the full story lol

Jake
Its not rocket science to swap springs, just common sense. In the front you just gotta remove the struts its 3 nuts on top, 2 on the bottom and the swaybar. you can rent a spring compressor from autozone if you don't wanna buy one and be careful there is alot of energy stored in those springs. The back is uber easy you just have to unbolt the shocks and the (rear end) drops and you can pull the springs right out. But personaly I'd go the coilover way because if you just put lowering springs on its going to blow your struts and it rides like crap, I know I used to run eibach sportlines I'm much more happy with my stance gr+ coilovers. Its nice to have adjustable dampers. Take it somewhere for alignment when your done.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

If you do not get new struts, how long r the stock ones gonna last?
Not long, atleast mine didn't but I drive my car like I stole it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.