Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new to the site but so far loving it. I have an 08 LS 5-speed.

The only performance mod I have so far is a K&N short ram intake, the rest is all visual.

I'm planning on doing custom exhaust, bending the pipes myself and everything. I have a mandrel and welder. The only thing that confuses me is what diameter pipe to go with, I want either 2.5" or 3". I'm pretty sure stock is either 1.75" or 2" so it sounds like a big jump, which is whats confusing me.

Would it be robbing my engine if I went with 3" pipe? Also, any recommendations on header and dp with a high flow cat?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you plan on going forced induction then go 2.5". If you don't then go 2.25". You can go bigger and stay N/A if you also own a honduh

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
3" is also good for forced induction

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The bigger it is the deeper the tone. Obviously don't go too big. I'd go with what pj and moneyman said. But I'd probably do 3" if you're turbod or supercharged

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Unless you in the 400+ HP range there's no point in going over 2.5''

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Read up about exhaust scavaging and proper velocity.

A full 2.5" system would be just fine, you won't notice anything better or worse from a 2 1/4" system anyways...Shorty ZZP Header/2.5" Downpipe/2.5" catback.

Done and done.

My LAP 2.2 made just shy of 140 WHP and 160 WTQ with just an intake/catback, so expect a little more, I'm sure. Especially with the manual transmission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you and sorry for taking so long to reply.

I don't plan on doing turbo or supercharging, so it seems like the max I should go is 2.5" then.

I'm going to look into this a little more and see if it would just be worth it to get a 2.5" shorty header and downpipe, high flow cat, and the GMPP cat-back.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
With a motor that makes not that much power...and just changing the exhaust and not really anything else...a wideband probably wouldn't make any difference unless you had two cars side by side on the dyno.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Get the gmpp bow tie exhaust tip. The thing is the highest quality exhaust tip I've ever bought. My old one is 3 years old now and still looks brand new.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Angled is sexy. It's what I got

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
They have a Pontiac one too

·