Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust started to make a much louder noise so I had a look at it. Where the two pipes connect just before the cat, it has separated. The bolts are rusted out but the pipes seem to be fine. What's the best way to fix this? I don't want to go to a shop cause they would charge an arm and a leg for such a small problem. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If it's just the bolt that a holing it together, the cheapest way would be new bolts and a gasket for it. The way I would do it, would be to upgrade the parts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The stock flanges were rusted through and I couldn't bolt them back together. I bought two exhaust flange kits that would fit around the pipe. I had to remove some of the excess metal on one side of the flange kit with a plasma torch because of the resonator or whatever that large bulge is after where the pipe bolts together moving towards the rear of the car, but I bought a new exhaust gasket and bolted the flanges around the exhaust pipe and bolted them together. Have not had an issue in two years. A local shop should have a plasma torch to use, and the cost is minimal. Otherwise you can use a grinder, but it takes awhile.

Link for a similar kit:
Amazon.com: Walker 36132 Hardware Flange Repair Kit: Automotive

find one that fits your car, and buy two bolts to connect them.

Autozone had the kit I needed. Was made by Walker.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
2 piece exhaust flange can help you. Best bet is to get it welded solid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.