Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so the rattling use to happen on start up, then it went away. Now when it doesnt happen until im at low rpms in 1st and 2nd..took it to 2 different shops the stand alone shop said it was the exhaust bushings. then took it to a chevy dealership and they said bushings were fine. They checked all the welds the heat shield they did bend the heat shield away from where it was close to the body, but nothing has helped. it sounds like its coming from the rear of the car but cant be sure. It sounds like steel on aluminum, very tingie sounding. Any ideas cause this guy is lost.

I dont want to keep throwing money at it like a shotgun blast.

Thx

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Go tap on you muffler pretty hard, it might have baffles that have come loose. If you hear the same noise, you need a muffler.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I may have the same issue. I hear an undercarriage knocking or tapping sound when I decelerate quickly, usually while letting up on the gas and engaging the clutch and usually in third or fourth gear. It sounds like the tail pipe is knocking up against something. I've checked it out and the exhaust all feels pretty tight. It's been like that since I bought the car new. It doesn't happen that often so I figure no biggie.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Check the hangers and like Coby7 said the muffler.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
K9Freddy,

It's been a few days since your first post - have you checked things out further? I'm available to follow up with your dealership, if you like.

Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
188 Posts
its the resonator the metal sleeve welds come loose on the inside i got a ss exhaust that rattled for free cut it off pipe re welded it then welded back together good as new

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go tap on you muffler pretty hard, it might have baffles that have come loose. If you hear the same noise, you need a muffler.
ok messed with the muffler, nothing.

K9Freddy,

It's been a few days since your first post - have you checked things out further? I'm available to follow up with your dealership, if you like.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Well, havent done much since I posted last. still makes the sounds still annoys me.

its the resonator the metal sleeve welds come loose on the inside i got a ss exhaust that rattled for free cut it off pipe re welded it then welded back together good as new
Ok sounds good, might just take it to a shop and have them cut off the resonator and instal a piece of straight pipe.

Thank you everyone

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so took it to a local shop and sure enough the resonator was the cause...the baffle inside and broke loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.