Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a tsudo catback, with stock headers and downpipe, as well as a custom cold air intake. When i am on the road it seems my exhaust sounds quieter between 3500 and 5500 rpm's and then the cold air overtakes at 5500 and i dont really hear much exhaust at all. is this because the limitations of the headers and downpipe? and if i were to put new headers and downpipe on would that make the car sound ricey? and i have an 06 lt 2.2 auto what would u recomend for the headers and downpipe?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So i got a tsudo catback, with stock headers and downpipe, as well as a custom cold air intake. When i am on the road it seems my exhaust sounds quieter between 3500 and 5500 rpm's and then the cold air overtakes at 5500 and i dont really hear much exhaust at all. is this because the limitations of the headers and downpipe? and if i were to put new headers and downpipe on would that make the car sound ricey? and i have an 06 lt 2.2 auto what would u recomend for the headers and downpipe?
First off let me correct a little bit of your words for things.. Stock, you have an exhaust manifold. Not headerS. Even when you get an aftermarket header there is only one.. You have a 4 cylinder..

Next off I am not sure why it would be getting quiet at the upper RPM's.. The exhaust note just changes at higher RPM's If you do want to get an aftermarket header/dp than that is up to you. It will make the exhaust louder and deeper

get a custom down pipe and im not so sure bout headers
Where did you come up with this solution and why did you post it without any reasoning?..:huh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks sorry i have only ever done car audio, im still trying to learn the whole engine lingo. so yes an exhaust header would make it louder, but would it give it that ricey crackly sound? and do you have any brand suggestions, i have heard to stay away from the zzp header and dp combo because it leaks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ok thanks sorry i have only ever done car audio, im still trying to learn the whole engine lingo. so yes an exhaust header would make it louder, but would it give it that ricey crackly sound? and do you have any brand suggestions, i have heard to stay away from the zzp header and dp combo because it leaks.
header won't do that, a larger/gutted CAT is what would affect the noise/sound if anything.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok I will add an "IMO" here as well. :D

What type of gains are you looking into getting? Shorty header is more for higher RPM range gains, and mid-length to long tube is for mid range to lower RPM gains.

And yes a header does fluctuate sound, shorty gives it more of a higher pitch to the exhaust note and mid-length/long tube gives it a more deeper tone.

And I would be more worried about performance gains than sound, another IMO.

And since you did all that why not get a t00n if not already having one, mine changed completely and yes it does have several different sounds to it, especially when the VVT starts working. I was surprised as to what the car sounded like above 7k RPMs.

But like I said "IMO". :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
And as for my suggestions on companies, look into OBX (might have small fitment issues, but nothings perfect. Also comes with a high flow cat and DP combo.), CA 4-1 Header (what I'm running and a decent shorty design), or the SLP long tube header (this header also comes with a DP combo).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.