Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You mean like the ones that are 2x longer? What in the world would you need a wider rear view mirror for?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Watched the video. Interesting, but I'm unsure if I could be comfortable with that. I'm so used to seeing my car for perspective and to better judge distances, especially for backing up in dicey spaces.

I'll give it a try on my way to work in the morning.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Resale.

Actually, seeing more is always better, especially in this town. Also, many track cars have them so it must be at least somewhat useful lol
Resale.... ghe number one reason we customize vehicles lmao

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Watched the video. Interesting, but I'm unsure if I could be comfortable with that. I'm so used to seeing my car for perspective and to better judge distances, especially for backing up in dicey spaces.

It takes a little while to get used to it, but you will never regret it. After all they are called side view mirrors, the rear view is inside the car. Setting mirrors this way has saved my skin several times. Especially from speeding idiots.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a habit of glancing over the shoulder before changing lanes, so I see more benefit from having the mirrors give me a better view of my bumper when backing up.

But yeah I'm not sure an extra-wide rear view is gonna help your resale, and honestly, unless you feel like you really need it for safety purposes, I'd stick to the standard mirror.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've been setting my side view mirrors as mentionned in the video for a long long time. I always back into a parking space and haven't hit anything yet. The advantage of setting up your mirrors this way is when a vehicle decides to pass you to your right or left, the minute it disappears from your rear view mirror it appears in one of your side view mirrors. So you always have a vision of the dangers and aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
922 Posts

I was taught to set my mirrors up like that when I was a teenager, also I have been through a few driving courses with the Navy and they talk about proper mirror set up. Once you set them this way, it really does help with blind spots.

As far as backing up if its really dicey you should park somewhere else where nobody going ding yours doors with thiers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That parallel parking though. Sometimes unavoidable. Especially with my daily parking situation. My wheels don't need any more curb damage.

But mine are in a good position. They may not be perfect, but my blind spot is very small and I look over the shoulder quickly before getting over if I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How I was taught was to turn my head at a 90 degree angle (chin to shoulder) to check blind spots, and I use that technique religiously. I figured the extended mirror would help cut the need to do that. Anyways, I'll try it this morning.

But yeah I'm not sure an extra-wide rear view is gonna help your resale, and honestly, unless you feel like you really need it for safety purposes, I'd stick to the standard mirror.
The resale thing was a joke lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been setting my side view mirrors as mentionned in the video for a long long time. I always back into a parking space and haven't hit anything yet. The advantage of setting up your mirrors this way is when a vehicle decides to pass you to your right or left, the minute it disappears from your rear view mirror it appears in one of your side view mirrors. So you always have a vision of the dangers and aware of your surroundings.
Thanks for posting this.
When is the last time your own door hit you.... That's what i tell my wife.
Argh. I think the wrong way info has been passed on by so many people, when learning to drive.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So how was your commute with your new side view mirrors.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be honest, I was more concentrated on keeping my car on the road and out of people's living rooms to properly test out my mirror setup. It snowed quite a bit last night and the roads were awful. Tomorrow I'll be driving out to Ottawa, so I should have a better chance to fiddle with my mirrors. Then I shall let you guys know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah against this tech BS to but you do not have any blind spots and your like a bug on your rear bumper..my windows are tinted very dark so camera is the best option for me...and ya skip the factory wiring so ya can have it on when ever otherwise it only turns on when the cars in reverse...but when I get mine it's gonna be on 2-7" screens..

·
Registered
91 Posts

I can just see the fenders in the mirrors, can still see the blind spots, can still see where the car is, and I can still see headlights creeping up behind me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.