Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the whole DIY thread and didnt see anything about painting the exterior of the car. Apologies if I missed it.

A while back some asshat tore my door handle off the driver side door and left it on the street for me to find. All that was left was a little tab that had to be pulled to open the door.

Anyways, I found a cheap replacement which fits exactly, but it is black/unpainted and my car is gold. I have a can of my cars exact color on its way, but til it arrives I wanted to get everything ready and primed.

Getting to my point, do you have any recommendations as far as primer goes and will this plan turn out with generally good results?

1) Sand entire handle with 220, 400, then 600.
2) Prime. Couple light coats followed by a heavier coat. Let dry for hours.
3) Sand again. 600 and higher grit maybe?
4) Clean entire surface and dry.
5) Paint with color matched paint. Light coats, heavier coat, plenty of drying time.
6) Sand with 1000,1500, then 2000 grit.
7) clear coat.

Please offer any advice on what to change about that order, if needed.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
No need to sand with 220 or prime, just clean it very good, sand with 400 clean good again and paint, then clear. (trust me I do this for a living). but just make sure the old paint is sanded or scuffed no need to sand the old paint off. And wet sand with 1500 after clear if you can buff it out.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, sorry, meant spray paint.

This handle is completely unpainted. Its an oem handle that is bare plastic. I sanded it last night and it looks great, but since its never been painted should I prime then?

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Oh and its black, but I am painting it gold...well...."metallic cashmere".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.