Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing how going in an altering the engine of your car trying to get some extra kick out of it will potentially void your warranty is it possible to take it to a certified GM shop and get them to hop it up and keep the warranty valid

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
seeing how going in an altering the engine of your car trying to get some extra kick out of it will potentially void your warranty is it possible to take it to a certified GM shop and get them to hop it up and keep the warranty valid
Best you can do is install an SS exhaust manifold (or GMPP extrude-honed manifold), GMPP exhaust (performance loudest, touring a little quieter), and the GMPP Performance Intake (unless you have SAI - check for a second hose coming out of your air filter box). All these will keep your warranty valid.

Go to crateenginedepot.com and look at all the Cobalt/G5 accessories for more information.

there are no warranted internals -- or tuning -- for the 2.2/2.4 like there is for the 2.0.

·
Registered
575 Posts
yeah or u could just do what I did and say f my warranty haha. The funny thing is I got rearended and my cat cracked and i took it to my dad's old dealership and they warrantied it even though my car has rims, lowered, intake, 2.4 manifold , etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
GM is very flexible with the warranty, they will not void it because of the addition of an aftermarket product, they will refuse to pass it under warranty if the cause of the malfunction is the addition of the aftermarket product. i.e. if you put lowering spring on the car and your strut breaks because of manufacturers defect, they will fix it even if you have aftermarket springs. That's the main reason why I love GM!

·
Registered
673 Posts
GM is very flexible with the warranty, they will not void it because of the addition of an aftermarket product, they will refuse to pass it under warranty if the cause of the malfunction is the addition of the aftermarket product. i.e. if you put lowering spring on the car and your strut breaks because of manufacturers defect, they will fix it even if you have aftermarket springs. That's the main reason why I love GM!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

ROFLCOPTER!

Seriously. lol GM is extremely shitty about warranty work and to think any different is silly. If yo don't believe me go to cobaltss.net sometime and ask around. If you don't believe them go to a Corvette, GTO, or Camaro forum. GM is NOT tuner friendly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dude this is the exact opposite of what GM's warranty states. My dad worked for a Gm dealership in Wilmington for 9 years and the main issue with the warranties was aftermarket parts that were incorrectly installed i.e. spings blowing out struts and tearing up the undercarriage. It's your own risk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well I got a letter from GM stating everything I said, could it vary from Canada to the US?

kickasscobaltss added 6 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

This is the e-mail I got from them when I asked about modifications:

Should you wish to proceed with a modification, we should clarify that warranty claims will not be refused simply because an alteration was performed to the vehicle. If a malfunction occurs, General Motors will require that we complete a diagnosis to determine whether the alteration affected the performance and reliability of the vehicle or any of its components. If the diagnosis reveals that the failure was not the result of a factory defect in material or workmanship, but was related to the modification performed, required repairs will not be covered by the warranty. Thank you for contacting General Motors of Canada Limited, and for the opportunity to clarify our position. Please visit our website again!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
bull crap, they wouldnt warranty my bloody motor mount, even though you can clearly see the nice, clean cut from the freakin forged defect(manufacturers flaw), you guys all remember the pot hole incident, well, yeah, GM blamed it on the hole, and not the mount, even with the mount right in front of them!!! So now i have a court date in the summer:mad:

·
Registered
768 Posts
GM is very flexible with me.... then again my uncle is a service manager at the dealer where I take my cobalt. When I was putting my air bag control unit back in after removing the carpet. I had bent the prongs and two of them were touching and it shorted out. It was a $1,200 dollar fix(or so they say) and I got it fixed for $100. It was a stupid mistake but luckely he talked to the dealership owner and manager and got A LOT off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There was a law passed in the US in the 70's called the magnusson-Moss act of 1975. That states that in order for the auto company to void your warranty they have to completely prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage. They can't say that your cold air intake blew out your clutch. They also can't completely void the warranty, just the coverage on the changed part. You can't go to the dealership for warranty work on your cai, or custom exhaust.
Here's a Site that explains it better than I

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

hope that helps, and above all don't take any guff from those swine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
There was a law passed in the US in the 70's called the magnusson-Moss act of 1975. That states that in order for the auto company to void your warranty they have to completely prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage. They can't say that your cold air intake blew out your clutch. They also can't completely void the warranty, just the coverage on the changed part. You can't go to the dealership for warranty work on your cai, or custom exhaust.
Here's a Site that explains it better than I

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

hope that helps, and above all don't take any guff from those swine.
LOL, you kids and your Magnusson-Moss act. That act isn't worth the paper it's printed on. If you think it's going to help you at all your kidding yourself.

Here is an example of how the act fails miserably:

You install an intake. Your clutch blows. You go to a dealer and they see your intake and say "well your clutch was designed for 205hp and since you've added an intake you aren't making stock horsepower therefore your clutch will not be covered under warranty." It is that easy to "prove" the part you installed caused the failure. Using this theory you can effectively void every part on the powertrain and chassis as well as some electrical components since you will have to take your maf off and put it on the new intake.

The fact is you have to pay to play and if you want warranty don't play. I'm not saying this to be a dick, but I'm saying it to protect the members of this site from getting slammed with pricey repair bills because they heard some guy on the internet saying it was ok to mod their car. It's ok, but don't expect GM to cover your breakdowns.

Ultimately it comes down to your dealership and the tech servicing your car. I know several techs at the local dealership and they basically have told me that if your car is modded and you bring it in they will do it under warranty as long as it's an easy fix and they can make some money. If not they will just deny the warranty claim and charge you a fortune to fix it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
or you can get in good with the right people at a dealer and you never have to worry about warrenty haha.... i have my hook up at a chevy dealer, they warrenty my car 100% all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.