Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought used 2005 Cobalt LS.

It drives fine but when it goes over potholes, the car really feels the hole (along with a loud noise). I drove over it with a newer car and the same bumps barely feel like anything.

Is this normal for old cobalts?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Potholes have always made loud noises for me when I went over them. I always assumed that was normal for any car. Normally I just try to avoid them though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ya my cobalt same thing, always felt ever single ripple in the road, you could try a tire with a bigger sidewall if you really wanna try and fix it

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or just maybe you need struts and shocks if they<ve never been changed.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Do the bump test. Push the car down at each of the four corners and see how many times it bounds/rebounds. It should stabilize almost immediately. If it sways like a dingy in a tropical storm, you have a problem.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The rear springs probably just have the top or bottom coil broke, we've all had this problem and you can't even tell until you actually look.

Sent from the sexy electrician

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Also, check your control arm bushings. Specifically the rear bushing that's like a hockey puck, I can promise you unless they were just done that they need to be.

On my cobalt I replaced sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and control arm bushings. 8 months later I needed to replace one of the sway bar links, the sway bar bushings, and the control arm bushings were bad again. Needless to say I bought a new car because I wasn't doing that every 8 months.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My springs never broke haha and I have yet to have a problem with the bushings... I don't know if they were ever changed but they haven't been in the 20k miles I've owned it

·
Registered
71 Posts
ya today i upgraded to Fe5 struts all around and eiback sportlines, MUCH better now, BMX body kit gets installed monday too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
lol ya ill get around to the pics when the car get back from paint on wed, then ive decided to put on coilovers instead of the sportlines, and i go get them next weekend

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.