Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into adding the factory heated seats to a Cobalt? I want to either add the factory equipment and factory switches or use after-market heated seats but still use the factory switches in the dash.

I don't have a preference to which way to go I just want to be able to use the factory switches,

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I say find factory switches and a good shop to install aftermarket ones, the stock wires run through the vehicle harness and would have to be added on. If you're really interested in all factory stuff I have factory heated red/black seats, they were never hooked up in my ownership though.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If you got something like this that has two settings you'd then have to look at the wiring and connect the factory switches so they do the same thing but this would require cutting the harness. Not having seen the factory switches though I can't guarantee that but most switches are quite simple. You might have to get a little more complex.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get a hold of the factory switches to confirm, but it seems like all I would need to do it match how they are plugged into the switches that come with that kit.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

For someone that has the factory heated seats, is the switch just a push button thing or is it a rocker switch? How does the switch behave?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Also if possible a picture of the back of the switch would help a lot!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Talk to Coby he'd probably know somehow.

·
Registered
589 Posts
did you ever check your harness for the switch-plug connectors? I have added this factory option to my car. It wasn't easy though. It required a donor dash and body harness (which luckily found and picked up at scrap cost of $20 for both), switches, seat heater modules and of course the seat heaters themselves. You have to isolate the wiring from the donor harnesses and remove them. Make note of where each wire terminates in each connector by using stickers/tape, photographs or both :) To isolate the necessary wires, simply find the switch connectors(in the dash harness) and pull all the wires leading into the switches. Do the same for the body harness by tracing back from the seat connectors. once you have everything removed, wrap the harness with e-tape. Then you have to disassemble most of your interior and dash (which means pulling both front airbags and steering wheel). Lay your newly made harnesses along your cars existing harnesses and zip tie together. Pull apart each connector and insert your harness into the proper places of each connector. Re-assemble and hope you got everything right. It was a HUGE job that I wouldn't do again. I would simply add an aftermarket kit instead.

as far as wiring an aftermarket kit to the stock switches, it may be possible if you have the electoral know-how. IIRC, there were 5 wires for each switch. power, ground, hi-low,heated seat signal, and switch backlighting. Most aftermarket kits use 3 wires. Not sure if you could make it work. The stock switches are rocker switches.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not yet lol, I need to get on that that would be sweet if they are back there. I saved your PM in case I want to try the factory option. I am thinking though I can gut a factory switch so it will work like a normal rocker switch and wire it to the aftermarket system that uses a generic rocker switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.