Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 cobalt lt without the factory 10" pioneer sub and im looking at installing one so it doesnt take up much space in the truck, what all will i need for the install?

·
Registered
922 Posts
The sub requires an amp of some sort and the LT does not have the factory amp. Also the stock head unit does not have the outputs to send the amp the sound, or the accessory wire to send signal to the amp to turn on. There are ways a round that, and if you want to get into that we can.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sub requires an amp of some sort and the LT does not have the factory amp. Also the stock head unit does not have the outputs to send the amp the sound, or the accessory wire to send signal to the amp to turn on. There are ways a round that, and if you want to get into that we can.
to get sound i will just run a line output converter from one of the 6x9s in the rear deck, i would only need a simple amp to run that sub wouldnt i?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Factory pioneer sub is actually 2 cocentric speakers tuned to 2 seperate low frequency. I read somewhere 200Hz for center and 50Hz for outside, so you will need to seperate channels. I personally line converted my 2 6x9 into a 4 channel amp returning two channels to speakers and sending the low pass channels to the subs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory pioneer sub is actually 2 cocentric speakers tuned to 2 seperate low frequency. I read somewhere 200Hz for center and 50Hz for outside, so you will need to seperate channels. I personally line converted my 2 6x9 into a 4 channel amp returning to channels to speakers and sending the low pass channels to the subs.
or if i wanted to make it really simple i could just use a two channel amp

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
How would that work???

·
Registered
175 Posts
It sounds like two channels is not the right terminology. It would actually be more like a crossover frequency in a low-pass band of a crossover. Like a 6x9 3-way has three individual speakers with a crossover across the full range. Subs work in the lowest bands of the spectrum, so you would crossover below the amps crossover. I know that was actually more confusing. Bottom line, a 2 channel amp would not really cover this. A crossover is what you would require to split them, unless the speaker has it's own built in crossover (which would actually make more sense).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like two channels is not the right terminology. It would actually be more like a crossover frequency in a low-pass band of a crossover. Like a 6x9 3-way has three individual speakers with a crossover across the full range. Subs work in the lowest bands of the spectrum, so you would crossover below the amps crossover. I know that was actually more confusing. Bottom line, a 2 channel amp would not really cover this. A crossover is what you would require to split them, unless the speaker has it's own built in crossover (which would actually make more sense).
yea that was confusing, so if i got a 4 channel amp, nothing fancy it would be easy to run just the sub if i wanted to

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't wanta confuse ya any more but you want a 2 channel amp for sub amp...not 4 channel unless your running the 6x9 off the same amp...
Get a crossover for the low freq. most amp will have this already...
An a RCA line converter to the 1 or 2 of the rear 6x9's (running 1 RCA is mono or 2 RCA is stereo which ya won't notice that much of a diff) they make RCA converts that will turn on the amp by the power going to the rear speakers..
And here another confusing part will ya run the subs in parallel or series? That's if your running 2 subs or dual voice coil subs?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't wanta confuse ya any more but you want a 2 channel amp for sub amp...not 4 channel unless your running the 6x9 off the same amp...
Get a crossover for the low freq. most amp will have this already...
An a RCA line converter to the 1 or 2 of the rear 6x9's (running 1 RCA is mono or 2 RCA is stereo which ya won't notice that much of a diff) they make RCA converts that will turn on the amp by the power going to the rear speakers..
And here another confusing part will ya run the subs in parallel or series? That's if your running 2 subs or dual voice coil subs?
im looking at running a single 10" pioneer sub, where can i pick up the RCA line coverter that tells the amp when the speakers are on?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Its a sub box that looks like it has an amp rack built in

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a sub box that looks like it has an amp rack built in
ive noticed, im not making a sub box im purchasing a factory sub that comes stock in some cobalts and im trying to figure out what amp i need to run it, not how to make a rack to hold a amp...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any stereo shop should have it...about $30-40 for one..but that was a 4 channel converter
Ya just have to run a power wire to the converter and when the speakers come on it tells the converter to turn on the amp..I've got an audiopipe 1500watt paid $300 for but that be to big for that 10..
Audiopipe are great amps and good bang for the buck..
What's the rating for the speaker and ohms keep that in mind when buying an amp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.