Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After repairing the battery clip on the key fob, I was able to check to see if the keyless worked on the '09 Cobalt I just picked up. Everything works, except the remote start. It honks the horn instead??? I did find this with a google search. Has anyone else had this issue? Or does anyone else have another idea?

"Document ID: 2211730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC5038: RVS Inoperative / Horn Chirp When RVS Function Is Performed - keywords beep button chirp fob function horn inop intermittent key keyless locate no pressed performed remote start - (Nov 20, 2008)

Subject: RVS Inoperative/Horn Chirp When RVS Function is Performed

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2009 Chevrolet HHR

2007-2009 Pontiac G5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment the Remote Start is inoperative. When attempting an RVS event the customer will hear three horn chirps and park lights flash.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The three horn chirps should be used as a key indicator for what is causing the RVS not to work properly.

While monitoring the key fob data list, technicians should perform a RVS function, When you press the RVS button on the keyfob, the data list will show "locate" instead of "Start/RVS/Engine".

This issue has been identified as an internal concern with the keyfob. Keyfob replacement should resolve this issue."

I can't try the second remote because that is missing the battery clip completely! Can't fix it when it isn't there!!! I may try to remove the battery clip from the 1st remote, and fix the 2nd one to see if the horn honking continues. Car is out of warranty, and would rather not pay the dealer to diagnose if I don't have to.

TY!
Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hood ajar switch maybe.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hold the reset and search buttons on the steering wheel and then a menu comes up and you can reset oil life, turn the remote start function on or off, and do something with the horn honks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hood ajar switch maybe.
Thought of that, but the DIC isn't showing that the hood is open???

if it comes down to it, itll probably be cheaper to get an aftermarket alarm/starter vs dealership fix
This crossed my mind as a very good possibility! Not sure I would get the alarm, but at least the RS.

Hold the reset and search buttons on the steering wheel and then a menu comes up and you can reset oil life, turn the remote start function on or off, and do something with the horn honks
When I get the car home (It is at a relatives at the moment. Need to move our Grand Am that the Cobalt is replacing 1st, just not enough driveway space!) I will check this out!

TY to all for the ideas/suggestions! I will keep this updated.
Chris

·
Registered
985 Posts
The price difference of an alarm/starter and just starter is no more than $20 where I work. The only extra thing you need to install is a siren

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.... it IS the 1 remote! I ended up finding some info here on THIS PAGE at the very bottom. It mentions a little "black box" on the remote board that is damaged or missing that seems to cause this issue. Well, one is missing on my remote. The other remote looked ok, so I moved the battery clip to the 2nd remote, and like magic, it works just fine!

As for an aftermarket remote start, I haven't priced one in years, but when I worked at a Specialty shop (about 15 yrs ago), there was a couple hundred $ difference from what I remember.

Ty again for all the suggestions.
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.