Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking to replace my 2006 cobalt ss factory radio with an aftermarket one, but whenever I select one on a website such as crutchfield it says it's not compatible with the factory subwoofer. Is that because you need to buy an amp for it to work? I really don't know much if anything about car audio (or audio in general) and was wondering how that worked. Also if anyone has any good recomendations for head units around or under 200 that support back-up cam I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
922 Posts
So I was looking to replace my 2006 cobalt ss factory radio with an aftermarket one, but whenever I select one on a website such as crutchfield it says it's not compatible with the factory subwoofer. Is that because you need to buy an amp for it to work? I really don't know much if anything about car audio (or audio in general) and was wondering how that worked. Also if anyone has any good recomendations for head units around or under 200 that support back-up cam I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks for any help.
The problem you run into when you use an aftermarket market head unit, is that the adapter harness by passes the the amp to the factory sub. There may be a way to make it work, but I don't know how to. What you could do is buy a sub that will fit in the factory box, pair an amp with with it, swap your head unit and call it a day.

As far as head units I'm a fan of Pioneer and Alpine. Pioneer's cheapest double din that supports a backup cam is the AVH-170DVD on crutchfield its about 190 but you may find it cheaper else where. Don't forget you need the harness, installation kit, and antenna adapter as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you need to get the proper interface, just a small blue box that makes everything work, you can buy them below. This one is for a car without onstar. with this any new head unit will use your fastory speakers and sub still.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
When I looked up that exact part on crutchfield it said that it didn't fit the 06 chevy cobalt. I also found the same part on amazon for much cheaper. Amazon.com: PAC C2R-GM11B Radio Replacement Interface for Select 2004-up GM LAN Vehicles with Out OnStar: Car Electronics Is crutchfield wrong on this one? Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
The 05 and 06 harness is completely different then the 07+ harness. 05 and 06 ised a differnt radio. 05 and 06 the audible alerts are played through the cluster, 07+ they are played through the radio. The harness for the 07+ is pretty pricy.

I have ordered from Crutchfield before and have not any issues with parts they have said work.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My sounds are played thru the radio and i own a 2006.
you might want to check again hit your blinker and listen to the driver door speaker. then listen to the area around the cluster. I'm willing to bet its coming from the cluster. I had an 06 cluster in my 07 base for a few days and the sounds played through the cluster and the door, and was highly annoying.

In an 07+ when you change the radio the sounds are no longer played through the driver door speaker. The sound come from the converter box on the harness behind the radio. Or at least it did with the GMOS-LAN-04 harness I used.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My signal sounds play through my speakers, always have. i could shut off or turn on the turn signal sound using the interface box as well but my car does not need it, if i turn it on there are 2 clicking sounds happening because one is from the speakers the other is the interface box which sits behind your aftermarket head unit, that's why you hear the sound there.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My signal sounds play through my speakers, always have. i could shut off or turn on the turn signal sound using the interface box as well but my car does not need it, if i turn it on there are 2 clicking sounds happening because one is from the speakers the other is the interface box which sits behind your aftermarket head unit, that's why you hear the sound there.
what year is your car? because in any 05 06 I have been in the all the sounds come from the gauge cluster, not the drivers speaker. There is no connection between your door chimes turn signals and the driver speaker. If your stock radio was the one with the 2 knobs your sounds come from the cluster, no if and or buts about it. but either way thats not what thread was about, so I'm done on that topic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My sound is played through my dash but it looks as if the device has a switch to turn the chime through radio on and off. I'll post back after I get the stuff and install it and tell you how it went. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going to be testing my soldering and wiring job tomorrow but I had a quick question. What would be the easiest way to run the usb cable and 3.5 cable into the dash. That little black bar that has nothing looks like the way to go but how would I go about putting it there? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 06 definitely Goes through my cluster, not sure about my 08 though (my old cluster stopped making the noise, so i got a new one, and problem fixed!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.