Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So someone cut my factory wiring harness that is suppose to plug into the back of stereo. I have no idea where the wires go. The last person that tried hooking is up got power but then my gages went crazy and wouldn't work but unhooked it and they went back to normal. Plz help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It sounds like someone tried putting an aftermarket radio in and found out you can't do it. The VIN is programmed into the radio and the BCM checks for the correct VIN before allowing the radio to power up. What people do is cut the factory radio connector, identify the hot wire, then hook it up to the radio. Same with the speaker wires. What then happens is the radio is powered at all times and drains the battery. Out comes the aftermarket radio. My solution to that is to use a dedicated ON/OFF button to power my non-stock radio. But if I forget to turn it off, dead battery. An easy fix for you is to get a stock radio connector with enough of the factory harness to re-attach it to your main harness. A junkyard will be the best place to find one. Then all you need to do is match the wires one-for-one by color and solder them back together. Shrink wrap the splices and you back in business. Now you can use a factory radio but the VIN will still need to be programmed back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So someone cut my factory wiring harness that is suppose to plug into the back of stereo. I have no idea where the wires go. The last person that tried hooking is up got power but then my gages went crazy and wouldn't work but unhooked it and they went back to normal. Plz help.
Hello, I have a custom stereo system in my 06 Cobalt. Sorry, some dummy cut your wiring harness. If I were you, I'd go to an auto wrecker to get the harness that was cut out. There are usually some that are in your area and probably don't even know they exist. This is where cars that are no longer operational are salvaged for parts. You'll want to find one that has your Cobalt and get the wiring harness that was cut out of your car. The wire colors from the harness will match the colors of the wires in your car. You're going to have to crimp or solder the transplant harness back to your car. In order to install an afermarket stereo to your cobalt, you are going to need a special wiring harness to attach to the wiring harness you just replaced. it plugs right in. It has a control module that will make everything work with your ECM which is necessary to hook up an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look at the factory radio harness. My 2005 FSM says the red wire with the white stripe is the battery power to radio. The dark green is the LAN wire to the BCM. So what I did was to put the push button ON/OFF in the battery power wire. I drilled a hole in the dash bezel near the radio for the button so I could just easily push it ON and OFF. My '05 Sunfire had another wire for the radio memory. I had to leave that one intact but it is low power and does not kill the battery. The Cobalt FSM does not show a memory wire. The dark green LAN wire is what checks with the BCM for the VIN and then allows the radio to power up. It is possible it also powers the memory but I am guessing here. If not, then using a seperate ON/OFF switch may lose the memory function but I don't know for sure. It is not a hard job, but remembering to shut the radio OFF is the tough part at first. Suffer a dead battery and you WILL remember next time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts