Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Chevy cobalt ls. A couple weeks ago the check engine light came on. The mechanics code reader said it was a camshaft position sensor. So I replaced it with a dodgey one From a wrecking yard (I know...) and it fixed it for a week. Then a couple days ago the light came on again and it was the same code. So I bought a brand new one this time and installed it. It fixed the problem for a day but today the CEL came back on. Is there a reason why it keeps failing? Is there a fuse I can check in my fuse box or is it a wiring issue? Any contributions would be great, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check the wiring harness as it runs on the back of the engine and it gets a lot of heat from the exhaust manifold. I had to replace the loom last year on mine because it had all fallen apart and wires were rubbing on the valve cover. I caught mine in time and have no issues yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check. My buddy braised my exhaust manifold and he actually melted the protective plastic housing on the wiring harness near it. So that sounds like what it would be. So they sell the harnesses at an auto store or would I need to go to a auto wreckers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue with my 06 Cobalt LT it was the wiring harness. Since I replaced that no more problems most auto parts places carry them better off trying there first

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
*update on car* I took it to my mechanic to get the code read (po342). So i unplugged the battery and checked all the connections. They looked fine from visual inspection. Plugged them back in and reattach the battery. Now the car won't start on the first crank and the check engine light came back on.

**took it for a test drive and turned it off. It would turn on until the 4th try now. Im going to go get a new sensor tomorrow and put in a new harness i think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.