Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That's normal coolant temps but are you asking the fan for the radiator or the blower fan for the cabin?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Miles on car? Coolant ever changed?

Mine aren't very loud but they don't go on much since I'm mostly country driving not city.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Fan will come on if the HVAC control is set to defrost

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Turn knob so it blows air at your feet and make sure A/C isn't on. Fan speed 1 should not come on until coolant reaches 225°F

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Here are the specs.

The ECM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The ECM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).

• When certain DTCs set

When the request for fan activation is withdrawn, the fan may not turn OFF until the ignition switch is moved to the OFF position or the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 10 mph. This is to prevent a fan from cycling ON and OFF excessively at idle.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm ok. I did your test and let the temperature get to 210F and the fan didn't come on. I got too impatient because my pizza was getting cold. Maybe I'm just overthinking the fan sound. It's just that I feel like it comes on more and louder than other cars do. Oh well I guess its better that it comes on than not at all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.