Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - anyone used their Cobalt to move a 16' canoe? Are there attachment rings under the bumpers at front and back?

Thanks. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
There is nothing like that on our cars as they are made here in North America. Those rings you are talking about are for complete cars or partially assembled cars made overseas. The rings are where the chains are attached to secure them on the boat ride over to here.(Just a bit of trivia for all of you, learned that from a guy who worked on those boats)

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
they use those rings on the transport trucks.

and I'm not sure about a canoe that big lol. I know they make foam blocks so that you can haul a kayak fairly easily though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
im pretty sure that much weight is gonna put a dent in your roof. the roofs/ hoods bend so easily on these cars.

but if you are gonna do it, put towels down on your roof, lay the canoe up there, roll hte windows down and use giant ass bungie straps to tie the thing around the roof. and then pray to god that the straps dont snap and hit you in the head while driving lol

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
im pretty sure that much weight is gonna put a dent in your roof. the roofs/ hoods bend so easily on these cars.

but if you are gonna do it, put towels down on your roof, lay the canoe up there, roll hte windows down and use giant ass bungie straps to tie the thing around the roof. and then pray to god that the straps dont snap and hit you in the head while driving lol
Or that it doesnt rotate around and hit another vehicle while driving.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hahah this is hilarious........ I would never haul a canoe unless it's a super beater car... :-D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
um...cobalts are basically gm's honda civic. if you havent noticed the body panels are thinner, we have plastic interior, cloth seats (base models) and roll down windows (ls). i've seen some cobalts do some real beater shit lol.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Whats wrong with manual roll down windows?? Some people prefer them, the motors never fail on them, as there is always a spare.
Amen I had to replace the window motor in my blazer last winter.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Yeah.... big canoe on little cobalt = dented roof and a lot of missing paint.

Maybe you should check on some kind of roof mounted rack. They usually contact the sides near the doors where there is more structure.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
just tie it to rear of the car and drag it, you could bring a few extra passengers. lol

I think WillMPG is close to right, the roof racks are probebly the best bet, but you need to compare the weight they can handle vs the weight of you canoe

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Thule makes them for balts but its close to 1000 for a whole setup, which would be preferreed if your going to transfer canoes all the time. Yakima does as well, there a little more affordable depending on what you get.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.