Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so used to have a toyota camry with a 2.2 I4 motor in it. Slow as balls even with headers, intake, exhaust, and some suspension work. So I got my 07 ls cobalt ok. I have two friends one with a 1999 mecury sable and one with a 1996 olds alero. They claim that because there motors are bigger that I am not as fast as them and that they could beat me in a street race. Anybody else have any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok so used to have a toyota camry with a 2.2 I4 motor in it. Slow as balls even with headers, intake, exhaust, and some suspension work. So I got my 07 ls cobalt ok. I have two friends one with a 1999 mecury sable and one with a 1996 olds alero. They claim that because there motors are bigger that I am not as fast as them and that they could beat me in a street race. Anybody else have any thoughts on this.
what are they? V6's?
any mods?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Watch out I got beat by a plymouth acclaim, but mine is bone stock tho. And I think the plymouth was the turbo model lol.

·
Registered
317 Posts
the answer is nothing, absolutely nothing is faster than a cobalt. i once saw a cobalt blow the doors off of a SR71 Blackbird... figuratively of course because they dont have doors

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
I would just laugh as they are driving a sable and a Alero(though I have seen some nicely done up alero's). The 2.2 is a decent car for what it is, a cheap economy car for getting good mileage. The car stock with a manual and good driver would probably not best anything better than mid 15's. I mean it puts about 120-30whp down and weighs like almost 3000lbs(depending on driver). Its not made to be fast, as are the giggle, sable and alero. If you want fast, there is mods out there or trade in for the TC or find a nice SC.

Bigger motors does not mean anything this day and age. I got some stang, camaro and other v8 cars that would agree they lost to my lil' pepsi bottle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
they r heavier cars too

·
Registered
82 Posts
ya there was just a post about this acouple days ago. it was about cobalts beating v6's bcuz of the weight

·
Registered
67 Posts
well i dont think the fact that your is a coupe, which means it has 2 doors not 4 or 5 makes it any faster. But my STOCK Cobalt has beat sable, a dodge spirit, and a Ford F150 with a triton V8 The sable and spirit had v6s.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If the sable is the Duratec engine, it's got about 200hp. Fairly quick, but nothing special. The Alero has either a 2.4 or 3.4 in it. Neither are exceptionally fast, but because they have more power and more weight, it's fairly equal I'd say. Sable with a 3.0L Vulcan V6 is 145hp and 170tq...Duratec is 200hp and 200tq (that will most likely beat you by a little). Alero 2.2 is 140hp/150tq, 2.4 is 150hp/155tq and 3.4 is 170hp/200tq (the 3.4 would be a close one...might beat you by a little...not sure).

JenovaD...I don't think the Ford with the Triton was even racing you...big, heavy truck with V8 will still KILL a small 4 cyl. car. And a V6 Spirit is a 3.0L...nothing even remotely special there as you've got more hp and almost as much tq. 141hp and 170tq in a Spirit V6.

Engine size never matters...yes, it's true there is no replacement for displacement...but hp AND weight have everything to do with it and a Sable and Alero are both heavier. Alero is not much though. Sable something like 500-600lbs heavier.

Also, you having a coupe means nothing...it's something like 20lbs lighter than a sedan...that really means nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
you have a slight advantage, especially being able to row your own gears. Just do not be surprised if you do lose, it happens. As for cars vs trucks, they are trucks haha, they are meant for towing. We have 5 trucks('03 f150, '03 f250, 95 f150, 96 f150, 78 f100)none of them would beat on any cobalt, well, maybe the '03 f150 since they has some go but they are not geared for it, their are some though that can go but typically no, they are about getting moving and than fall on their face. I even roasted an f250 turbo diesel that was modded and even had propain injection at the track. Truck was doing good too and than they lined me up with him. Yea, his rwd had me off the line but as soon as I caught traction it was just bye bye. Than again I am done up SC and not an SS.

If you guys wanna run, than just and just enjoy it, all in good fun.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well it was the first off the month tomorrow, and I've been looking all night to find this thread to post this story.
We went to the Police Academy drivers course tonight and dragged. My friends/roommates with the Mercury Sable and Olds Intrigue. (mind you my mods right now are still just an intake, pulley, short throw, exhaust)
Race 1-Cobalt vs. Sable
Absolutely hammered him. He beat me off the line just cause he reacted quicker but I got 0-60 probably a full 2 seconds faster than him. Person at the finish said it was about 10 car lengths. His excuse was the car wouldn't shift into 5th gear. Not sure if its a 5 speed auto
Race 2-Cobalt vs. Intrigue
Not even close. Destroyed him off the line. Pulled away from him the whole length. Game set match.
Basically those races saved me $44 off internet bills for this month lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.