Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I'm having issues with conflicting information around what parts to get for my 2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 NA. My RPO decal is illegible, but from what I've seen on this and other forums is that this car came with FE3 suspension. My main question is, can I use FE5 struts as a direct fit part, and the side question to that is why does the FE5 kits I found on Amazon say it's not compatible with SS models? I have only been able to find FE1 parts up until this Amazon listing from Detroit Axle which are FE5 (supposedly). I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money on coil overs or ultra high performance parts, but I still want to maintain some level of sporty ride if that makes any sense.

So I just re-read the listing and in tiny print it says w/ RPO code FE5, I believe they had a typo because on another line it says w/o FE5... This begs another question, why is it so hard to find FE5 parts?

·
Say What again!
6,421 Posts
An SS/NA would have the FE3 suspension - but they use the same struts/shocks/springs as the FE5 suspension (the difference was mainly in the swaybar), so FE5 would be a direct fit, yes. Being yours is a 2007, I would recommend looking for '08-'10 FE3/FE5 struts/shocks, as those would be an upgrade over the '05-07 parts.

As far as why they're hard to find, well, that's a different issue - the cars are, at their newest, 12 years old, so parts are starting to dwindle a bit - at least AC Delco options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize parts were interchangeable between 07 and 08+. I went ahead and sprung for some coil overs, don't laugh at me but they are cheap and made in China, but it's not a track car, just a daily I like to rip around with from time to time, so they fit the budget and use needs. I think I'm doing the sway bar bushings at the same time while everything is apart, so it should be vastly improved and hopefully not destroy any more tires 😅

·
Say What again!
6,421 Posts
What brand of coil overs? I'm not too concerned about where they're made as long as they're known not to be piles of garbage.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You will line new shocks and strutts. While your there, you might want to check your lower control arms. 2005-2007 forged aluminum control arms wound be the ones you want. In 08, GM changed the SS Cobalt lower ball joint to a larger diameter for their upgraded suspension. And will not fit your 07.

don’t forget your sway bar end links and sway bar bushings…..known to be shot by shock replacement time and good parts are $8-15/ end link and & $6-$12 for a set of sway bar bushings

·
Say What again!
6,421 Posts
The Moog Problem Solvers are a good upgrade for the endlinks. They are thicker than stock, and greasable.

Reactions: 1966tbird
1 - 6 of 6 Posts