Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
So I've been autocrossing my cobalt LS for going on 2 years now. I'm looking to upgrade my suspension. So 2 questions, first the FE5 suspension which is on the cobalt SS, can they be used on the cobalt LS? Is it a direct replacement part? Second part of the question, is this suspension worth the money? I have found them on createenginedepot.com for right around $250 for the fronts and the rears. If you compare these to aftermarket struts they are MUCH cheaper but again are they worth it. If any of you have done this swap or have the SS model please tell me what you think.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i would go with aftermarket

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
FE5 springs are stiffer than the LS versions. I had an 06 LS and now have an 07 SS/NA -- the difference in ride is very noticable, my SS/NA suspension is a lot stiffer.

I also installed the FE5 rear springs on my 06 LS -- it dropped the rear end about .25" that's all -- but it evened up the look of the front and rear wheel wells, which is what I wanted it to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well i dropped my LS ....i didnt do it for performance reasons really...i just wanted the look....how ever if you are going for the performance and look of a dropped ride Eibach is made to lower your car for looks and adjust to your car if your driving it hard for performance ..another way to stiffen up your suspension is by buying the DC Carbon Strut bar. Some people think it is for looks but after i installed it i felt a difference in cornering and body roll. Another aftermarket part you can buy is the Progress Rear Anit Sway Bar i belive it is 22mm and will help you as well with cornering. There are a few other odd and end things you can do such as a camber kit but the problem with the cobalt is that it has a solid rear axel so it is a bit rough...coilovers wont be worth it . With the Eibach lowering springs you CAN use the stock struts...however if you want i believe Koni is a company who is quiet reputable for an aftermarket replacement shock....and if you really want i believe 07bluegranite is selling his coilover setup for a decent reasonable price...check here.......http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/sale-trade-wanted/8382-brand-new-k-sport-coilovers-sale.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Red that is totally what I was looking for. What do you think of your cat-back from createenginedepot.com? I just put one on my LS a couple of weeks ago. It sounds sweet but don't know if I'm getting all the promised horses and torque. I really should have dynomed it before and after the install.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was happy with the GMPP performance Cat-Back on my 06 LS. I had the GMPP Touring exhaust on my 07 SS/NA but felt it wasn't helping to make the most HP so I went with CED's Random tech 2.75" cat back exhaust -- it is louder then the GMPP perf and I feel it "freed up" a few more ponies. No dyno graphs to back it up though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
cratenginedepot also has a suspension kit, which is a complete FE5 kit. However I would recommend what I did and just get the struts, shocks, and front swaybar components. Then go aftermarket for a good set of lowering springs and the Progress rear swaybar. At the moment the current 22mm rear swaybar from Progress is not enough to overcome the FE5's 24mm front bar. They are currently in the final testing stages of a new 25mm bar that I believe will complement the 24mm front bar nicely heres a link to the cratenginedepot.

Cobalt Suspension - Crate Engine Depot

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i really wish i had the money for that exhaust but being a college student sucks thats why i am going the custom exhaust route to save me some $$

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Montecarlo, thanks for the link to Createenginedepot. As I said I got my cat-back exhaust from them (which sounds SWEET!!!). I'm gonna look into the full FE5 suspension package. The only problem is that the rules for autocross are very strict and putting on the entire SS suspension may bump me up into the next higher class. I'm gonna check on that but all I know is I don't have the horses to hang with the racers in the next class up. I'll tell y'all what I find out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey Montecarlo, thanks for the link to Createenginedepot. As I said I got my cat-back exhaust from them (which sounds SWEET!!!). I'm gonna look into the full FE5 suspension package. The only problem is that the rules for autocross are very strict and putting on the entire SS suspension may bump me up into the next higher class. I'm gonna check on that but all I know is I don't have the horses to hang with the racers in the next class up. I'll tell y'all what I find out.

Well heres the best part. If you use factory components whos going to be able to tell except you? Get FE5 springs, struts, and shocks. Skip the swaybar and control arms, seeing as how those are dead giveaways and remove the yellow stickers from the FE5 shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hummmm....... that sounds like a pretty good idea. I could get the full package and just put the swaybar and control arms later when I do want to go up to the next class. I think I just way do that. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well heres the best part. If you use factory components whos going to be able to tell except you? Get FE5 springs, struts, and shocks. Skip the swaybar and control arms, seeing as how those are dead giveaways and remove the yellow stickers from the FE5 shocks.
Just for clarification: The factory original FE5 springs have a yellow tag.

The replacement FE5 springs have a purple tag. Take a look at the FE5 springs on the CED website -- the pictured springs have a purple tag -- I have bought 2 pairs and they all came with purple tags.

Original LS springs have a white tag and SS/NA and SS/SC springs have yellow tags. I don't know what the LT springs' tag color is -- anybody?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The LT cobalts come with the FE1 suspension, so they'd be white

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.