Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about my car.
06 coupe 2.2 LT m5

I have a block heater. What exactly does this heat. Is it worth doing in the winter?

My car has some kind of odd lugnuts that have a goofy design on one lugnut per wheel. Is this stock? Where would I find the tool to take it off? If its not stock, how do I get the basterds off?

I need two tires soon and I want to make sure that this isnt going to cause a problem.

·
Registered
911 Posts
from my understanding the block heater helps keep the oil warm so it'll start better..I may be totally incorrect, but thats what I thought it was for, I'm no mathematician by no means..I don't have one on mine and I have no probs in the winter

·
Registered
127 Posts
You in Canada??? :laugh: There is an engine block heater on my 09" - cord coming out of the front - you just plug it in. Makes for a warmer car on those very cold mornings.

As per Wikipedia...

"A block heater is an electric heater that heats the engine of a car to ease starting in cold weather. They are connected to normal AC power overnight or before driving, via regular power plugs that are fed through a vehicle's grille. This allows easier starting in cold temperatures, by keeping the coolant warm. Heaters are also available for motor oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate and warm the engine during startup. The rapid heat circulation caused by block heaters also aids the initial vaporization of fuel in the engine; because of this effect, block heaters reduce pollution, as poor fuel vaporization causes much higher emissions.

Block heaters are usually inserted into a freeze plug manufacturing hole in the cylinder block, heating the metal, coolant and oil. These can be installed at the factory, or by any qualified automotive service center. A block heater can even be installed by the handy do-it-yourselfer. Another variation is an in-line heater, connected to a coolant hose.

Also, one can even get a heated dipstick. Another alternative to block heaters is a battery warmer, which keeps just the battery warm. This maintains the efficiency of the battery, which is highly dependent on temperature, and is cheaper than heating the entire engine block."

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You in Canada??? :laugh: There is an engine block heater on my 09" - cord coming out of the front - you just plug it in. Makes for a warmer car on those very cold mornings.

As per Wikipedia...

"A block heater is an electric heater that heats the engine of a car to ease starting in cold weather. They are connected to normal AC power overnight or before driving, via regular power plugs that are fed through a vehicle's grille. This allows easier starting in cold temperatures, by keeping the coolant warm. Heaters are also available for motor oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate and warm the engine during startup. The rapid heat circulation caused by block heaters also aids the initial vaporization of fuel in the engine; because of this effect, block heaters reduce pollution, as poor fuel vaporization causes much higher emissions.

Block heaters are usually inserted into a freeze plug manufacturing hole in the cylinder block, heating the metal, coolant and oil. These can be installed at the factory, or by any qualified automotive service center. A block heater can even be installed by the handy do-it-yourselfer. Another variation is an in-line heater, connected to a coolant hose.

Also, one can even get a heated dipstick. Another alternative to block heaters is a battery warmer, which keeps just the battery warm. This maintains the efficiency of the battery, which is highly dependent on temperature, and is cheaper than heating the entire engine block."
Exactly, block heaters usually heat the coolant. You can also get heating blankets or pads for your battery and like mentioned above oil distick heaters and pads that attach to the bottom of the oil pan.

Need for these usually depends on the severity of the cold.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Those "odd lugnuts" are anti-theft wheel nuts that will keep hooligans from jacking your wheels and leaving your car on cinder blocks.

They require a socket or "key", to take them off. One of these can be had at your local auto parts store.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Normally the lug key would be in the car when you bought it...hopefully it's a normal design that you can get from the auto parts store (great anti-theft, when the thief can buy the tool to remove it, huh?).

And yes, if we have another freezing ass cold winter like last year, the block heater might be nice - but otherwise, it's pretty useless if you park outside.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the engine block heater here in Wisconsin. I use it when I know it will be below 0 degrees F. It warms the block. It saves on engine wear from really cold starts, and you get heat our of the heater much, much quicker. I've had them on my last two new cars and wouldn't be without it in the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.