Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I personally haven't made one from fiberglass but a friend of mine has. what did you want to know?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally haven't made one from fiberglass but a friend of mine has. what did you want to know?
i was just curious about how hard it was to do as well as any tips or anything. the only experience i have with fiberglass is fiber glassing the blade of my hockey stick

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Well it really is not that hard to learn if you have the time and money, it can get kind of expensive with trial and error, first you have to make a game plan look at some pics or go to some show and get an idea of what you want to do. The nice thing about fiberglass is you can make your box any shape you want. You can use wood or foam to get a general shape. To use foam you for instance if you wanted 1 sub on each side of the trunk in a seperate box in the rear corners, you would take a garbage bag and keep filling it with expandable foam a little at at time, as it expands and starts to form keep pushing it into the rear corner of the trunk, it will eventually take form of the back corner of your cobalt, when it is all dry, pull the bag out of the corner and remove the dry foam from the bag. (make sure it is dry and cured) then you can take the piece of foam and test fit it. you can then shape the foam how you want it by shaving it with a knife or razor blade. (If you were to use foam instead of wood after the resin and matting has been layered and cured, when you cut and form the hole for your sub location, you just hollow the foam out of the enclosure.

Wow ok I am about 1/20 thru the progress of telling you how to build a box and I feel this is going to be way to long. Just google fiberglass box there are tons of articles.
Just to give you an idea of the time that can be involved

the box and amp rack pictured below took
2 experienced builders who know what they are doing: 100+ hours

Or you could go with Carbon sheeting

you can see more pics at the website in my sig.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ya basically it's not so much crazy hard as crazy time consuming lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.