Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that when you fill your car, the pump wants to shut off a gallon or so early? Theres only a few stations I go to where it actually fills the tank before the nozzle shuts off automatically. All the other ones I have to manually top it off if I want to get a true full tank. I'm not talking full as in up to the top of the filler neck, I'm talking about FULL on gas gauge. I'm guessing maybe the filler neck design is causing the fuel to gurlge up and make the pump think its full???

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yeah I have to hold the gas nozzle just right or the dumb pump will shut off even if the tank is only half full. The filler neck on our cars is tiny and it has to travel all the way up in front of the rear axle so it doesn't flow very good.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
What you're talking about, where the pump stops way short, seems to be due to the fuel bouncing off the curvature of the inlet pipe and triggering the nozzle to stop. I found out that backing off the speed of delivery one notch, or pulling the nozzle out of the car a tad, seems to allow a normally full fill.

However, if you are bringing the fuel level right to the top of the inlet pipe, let me say that a few years ago, I read some info that said not to top up the tank because it'll overflow into the evaporative emission canister and choke up the charcoal that filters the fumes, then the canister would have to be replaced at some horrendous cost.

I quit topping up at the self-serve. When I'm in NJ where drivers aren't allowed to pump their own gas, I ask 'em not to top it off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anymore? No, it has been on the books since the 50s. Gas station owners complained that a lot of jobs would be lost if people pumped their own.

Hey, whatever... our gas is still cheaper than yours

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like that in Jersey. Cheaper gas and I don't have to get out of my car when it's snowing out? I'll take that all day long.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I'm with Will. I don't like anyone touching my car. I was at a gas station last summer and they were doing full service for their anniversary or some crap. made me nervous letting them touch my car. I had to show the old guy how to fill my washer fluid. uhg.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't see that evaporator canister thing being true, I've got 95,xxx miles on my car, and about 75% of the time with my fill up's, I fill it up to where you see the gas at the top of the filler. I have had no issues at all with anything on my car with the evaporator canister.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think its also against the law to pump your own gas in Oregon as well.

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

I have been topping off to the tippy top for years in several vehicles. Never a problem. I can usually get 2 to 2.5 more gallons in after the full cut off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.