Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I am having a little bit of trouble removing all of the glue left over from the chevy sign. Any help with that?

Sorry for the low-quality pics, they were taken by my cell phone.

Also, next things I'm doing are tints, and a few interior mods. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i just took the glue off with "goo gone" because i had some laying around... any old solvent will do, just dont leave it on the paint...

take off those side mouldings man, it will look cleaner

·
Registered
86 Posts
goo gone doesnt work out too well, trying waiting on a really hot day like i did and use 3M adhesive remover. can get it at your local autzone or advance auto parts =D or use a hot gun

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
so.. goo gone is terrible yet it took mine off on a cold day.

+1 though on the hot day thing, let it bake in the sun for a while and it peels right off, than if theres any paint fade a bit of Carnuba fixes it :)

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
3M adhesive remover ftw. but goo gone also works very good. i have used both products for many glue removing jobs

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
same way as everything else dude

i used a heat gun and adhesive remover
worked good and looks amazing

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
wow hahah, so glad these cars are cheaper.
also, has anyone ever painted those stock alloy wheels a flat black? or any other color for that matter?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting 15% all around soon, hopefully. I have had the money for it for the longest time, it's just been raining too much around here and the person I'm having do it does it at his house.

However, I don't think I could tint my front windshield at all, I'm pretty sure the cops around here wouldn't be having that.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
When I took some of the badging off, I used Goo Gone and what that didnt get I wet my thumb and pressure and the remaing glue just came right off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good deal..

I debadged mine the night I got it.. Wasnt even really mine yet, no paper work was signed yet, and she still got some goo-gone and yarn taken to her :]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Time for rebadge!
First off, thanks to Chuck0781 for sending me his Cobalt letters after I somehow managed to lose mine.

I'm putting them on the trim above the glove box. I'm going to paint them black before putting them in my car, but first some prep work:

Everything I used. A box-cutter is too big for this job, but I don't have an exact-o knife handy, so I started off with it. I'm going to touch up the insides of the letters with an exact-o knife when I get one. Since the letters will be black on a silver background, I think the doublesided tape will be obvious unless I cut it perfectly. Also, the random game-board is there so the knife doesn't cut into my desk. You should probably use something like this.

How I started. Just cut one of the pieces of tape in two, and taped it to the back of the letters.

Back of "C" and "O" so far, starting on "B" and "A."

Back of all letters

Front of all letters. The "B" is the most obvious, you can tell in the middle where the tape is. The box-cutter couldn't fit in between, so I'm not even going to bother right now. Exact-o knife will take care of that :)

Will post back here with pics when I paint & attach to car. I'm painting my front emblem, also. Going to leave the outline silver, and paint the inside black, update on that as well coming.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hmm that really doesn't look bad at all. not sure if im willing to give up the metal-look for a flat black, though

--edit--
Small update!

This is only the rear bowtie, I was testing out how the silver outline would look, plus practicing my painting skills. I'll explain why I'm choosing to do the silver outline once my car's closer to completion. It'll be easier to show than to explain :D

Letters drying, almost ready for interior!

Also the front bowtie drying. Friend was over with his 3, so we figured we might as well do his emblems :D

more updates soon!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Time for rebadge!
First off, thanks to Chuck0781 for sending me his Cobalt letters after I somehow managed to lose mine.

I'm putting them on the trim above the glove box. I'm going to paint them black before putting them in my car, but first some prep work:

Everything I used. A box-cutter is too big for this job, but I don't have an exact-o knife handy, so I started off with it. I'm going to touch up the insides of the letters with an exact-o knife when I get one. Since the letters will be black on a silver background, I think the doublesided tape will be obvious unless I cut it perfectly. Also, the random game-board is there so the knife doesn't cut into my desk. You should probably use something like this.

How I started. Just cut one of the pieces of tape in two, and taped it to the back of the letters.

Back of "C" and "O" so far, starting on "B" and "A."

Back of all letters

Front of all letters. The "B" is the most obvious, you can tell in the middle where the tape is. The box-cutter couldn't fit in between, so I'm not even going to bother right now. Exact-o knife will take care of that :)

Will post back here with pics when I paint & attach to car. I'm painting my front emblem, also. Going to leave the outline silver, and paint the inside black, update on that as well coming.
Looks good man!!!!!! Glad I could help :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.