Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airbox mod done! Took me about 1 1/2 hours but it should have been quicker. It was pretty easy going through the wheel well. Now the next mod will be the intake but it won't be until at least I find a job.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Now take the box out and saw the crap out of the bottom of it to really let the air flow in :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
bet you love the sound of it now? sounds almost like an air intake but its def a worthy mod i am waiting until my warranty is up and then taking it back out with the drop in k&n replacement

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Did you notice a difference right away?
in sound def at like 3500 rpm def it sounds almost like an intake and there is probably no gain in hp or anything but it just more fun to get on it cuz it sounds like it has an intake haha def worth doing

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't really driven it since I took the airbox out. I drive it around the block yesterday just to make sure it still ran :). I will be driving on the freeway later today so I will see if it feels any different. My car is still under warranty but I could always put it back in if it's a problem.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It won't void the warranty...I've had mine in for warranty work on a few things since I've owned it a couple years ago...I even have the intake and muffler on it. As long as it isn't internal and they are just bolt-on parts those kinds of things won't void warranties unless it it deemed that the bolt-on part you installed caused the issue your in there for warranty work. Such as...going in for a diagnostics with a catless downpipe...they won't touch it. Or...if you drive through a pond and hydrolock your engine from your intake having no air filter on it...see what I mean? Just common sense crap.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah this is by far the best free mod to do to the car lol, just punch it past 3500RPM and hear the RAWR!!
Wow! I just did it and it is an awesome sound! I don't know if it gives me any more horsepower or better gas mileage but it sounds better.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You pull off the passenger side plastic wheel well cover and it is pretty self explanitory from there on...the How To doesn't blow...I used to to take mine out...well..I mean I read it and then just tore into it. Its pretty damn simple.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You pull off the passenger side plastic wheel well cover and it is pretty self explanitory from there on...the How To doesn't blow...I used to to take mine out...well..I mean I read it and then just tore into it. Its pretty damn simple.
Yea im debating just whether to do it right now. lol I work on cars all day so I dont wanna get frustrated with this thats why i asked what it consisted of, but i read over the how to and it seems simple. lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea im debating just whether to do it right now. lol I work on cars all day so I dont wanna get frustrated with this thats why i asked what it consisted of, but i read over the how to and it seems simple. lol
Not frustrating for me at all. I jacked up the front passenger side, took the tire off, used a 7mm socket to start taking the screws out of the wheel well shield towards the front of the car. There is also a clip that needs to come out. Just pop up the center piece of the clip and then pull it out.

Just get those front screws and clip out and you can move that shield back enough to see the airbox. Look up under the front bumper and you can see a bolt that needs to come out - I can't remember the size - but it was metric. Back on the wheel well side is another clip holding the airbox in. This one was a little more difficult, but again you pop the center out and pull the clip out. Then you can pull the airbox out and put it everything back together.

This was how I did it in a 2009 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Ok sweet man yea I work in a Body shop so the splash shield will be no problem for me to take off, and I have the tool made to remove the clips. I was gonna do it tonight but im gonna have free time Sunday so ill do it then. But thanks, figured it was no big deal to take off just wanted some info on it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So there is no point in having this on the car? It just makes it quieter? Also what about the hole that the airbox thing went to, you don't have to cover it or anything? I'm debating on doing this mod sometime next week but for some reason I'm having doubts that its not good to take out. Idk why

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
So there is no point in having this on the car? It just makes it quieter? Also what about the hole that the airbox thing went to, you don't have to cover it or anything? I'm debating on doing this mod sometime next week but for some reason I'm having doubts that its not good to take out. Idk why
Same here.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.