Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My names Jon, and I posted a while back about rust problems that I noticed on a lot of cobalts while searching the market for them.

After a long 2-3 month search, I finally found a super clean, rust-free cobalt ss/sc within my price range (Which is difficult to do in Ohio). Happy to be here and hope to find many great threads on how to mod my mostly stock cobalt and keep it as clean as possible throughout its life! Thinking about doing an undercoat to stop that nasty rust from ever taking this one!

Here's the car to show it off a bit:)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky
Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

P.S. Yes, I know I said it's clean, which it is..but there is a slight scuff by the front tire, unfortunately. And a very small hail-like dent on the rear quarter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Already called around. The best deal came from a reputable shop that said they'd strip/repaint the bumper and both fenders for 1k with a lifetime warranty included, said they could "try" to get the dent out, doesn't always work perfectly I guess. Still not a bad deal to me, some shops were saying 1k for just the bumper..but I'm not sure I'm going to do it right away. Definitely needs a few more important things.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have to say the tar like undercoatings are great at first. But will usually trap moisture behind them. You won’t see the rust until it’s too late many times. My Mercedes was from Ohio and was this way. Many vehicles here where I live on the coast in south Texas are undercoated. Having similar issues as many people drive on the beach and it’s always humid. There are some good coatings but the ones that most places use suck in the long run and end up doing more damage. So I recommend researching ones that’ll adhere and stay for many years. It may have to do with prep also as I see they don’t always thoroughly scuff and clean before applying the coating. I however have seen some really good jobs, but those cost a lot more than the standard stuff.

As far as dents, a good paintless dent repair profession should have no problems fixing them.

I really like the color. My LT sedan is the blue that’s a little lighter than your SS. If I keep it I plan to paint it. Is yours the original paint? I’d love to find a turbo SS sedan. But they seem to be few abs far between. I also had been looking at Saabs, but had stopped a while back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm also concerned about undercoating trapping moisture or not prepping the surface well enough. I was thinking about using Fluid Film Rust and Corrosion Protection. I think it is more of a light coating like a clear coat, rather than a full/thick undercoating, but this is something I would likely have to do every year before winter. We just got a house so this car will be garaged for most of the winter once we move in, really want to avoid the salted roads.

I'm not sure if the paint is the original, but it does match the laser blue paint code. I believe the light blue ones are "Arrival Blue" and rarer than the laser blue. I'm pretty sure they didn't make many of the SS sedans either so that would be hard to find. I'm more of a coupe fan myself, with any car for that matter. Saabs are nice, but I find luxury vehicles difficult to work on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dents can be pulled, I'd rather that over having rust any day.

I also feel your struggle finding a clean car for cheap. Nothing was rust free in my budget out here in Alberta. Ended up buy my Pontiac G5 in BC instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The 'Balt looks pretty nice. I got my"5" GT from Ohio and there was a rust issue. Nice work on finding a clean one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair point Bonzi, yea, can't imagine the rust in Canada. I think the midwest is bad but I'm sure it can get worse farther north.

I see you're from IL, Doc. I've seen some damn good car prices over there! Vehicles always seem cheaper than in my area. It did take me about 3 months to find one without rust under 5k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fair point Bonzi, yea, can't imagine the rust in Canada. I think the midwest is bad but I'm sure it can get worse farther north.

I see you're from IL, Doc. I've seen some damn good car prices over there! Vehicles always seem cheaper than in my area. It did take me about 3 months to find one without rust under 5k.
You can find them, but they are typically rusted out. I looked at one at a dealership where the underside looked like swiss cheese. There were holes all over the thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts