Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like the title states...hard on fuel.
My Dad drives a 2011 Chevy Colarado. He's had it a few years now, always found it really hard on fuel. His truck is the model with the 5 cylinder sideways sitting motor.
Anyways, it gave him a scare in early Nov, he thought the motor was ruined. Ran really rough, sputtering and spitting and bucking. Now, my Dad has always been a Chevy guy and he's a true backyard mechanic. Fixed anything and everything with all his previous cars. He's turning 80 next birthday, and sadly enough the technology in newer cars baffles him.. So, when the knowledgeable, top notch mechanic scanned it, the result was the electronic throttle sensor or control was the culprit. He's told me it sits in plain sight ontop the motor close to the firewall, I think passenger side. He says it is spider looking contraption.
Part was over $500 and half hour labour to switch it. End result is truck runs as it did previous, but amazingly enough the gas mileage has gone through the roof, and stars, and planets. It used to be fill up at service station and drive directly home...the needle moved significantly enough that the ol' boy hardly went anywhere.
Now the mileage has given him back his mobility.
As pleased as I am for the ol' guy I'm wondering if the cobalt could have an issue with some electronic throttle thinga-mma-bobber.?? My car did get good mileage on the highway, and respectful mileage in town. It has gotten worse, not quite as bad like my Dad's truck, bad enough the my mobility is hampered.
I do, and will appreciate whatever wisdom and knowledge anyone has to offer, and I respectfully thank you at least reading this post.

Peace

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
How many miles? And have you done regular maintenance? It could just need a tune up. Spark plugs, fuel filter, things like that

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I'm planning on regular maintenance being a little bit responsible.
Curious to see if there might be a bigger picture. I'll gett'er tuned with some T L C and see what the outcome is.
Thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Throttle body clean may also help. Any CEL? Cobalts get harder on fuel when they lose an HO² sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.