Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many people here find the trunk light adequate for the trunk? Well I decided to fix mine tonight. I have taken a series of pictures explaining how and what I did for those interrested in doing the same. For those who find this lame skip to next thread.

Numbered pictures in lower right corner to match text lines.

1 This is the firefly in question.
2 I took a picture of trunk lighting before at a preset aperture setting.
3 Found an old wedgebulb socket.
4 Took some LED striplights I had laying around.
5 Wired one end of a pair of black/red wires to the socket.
6 Wired the other end to the strip.
7 Voilà new LED trunk light.
8 Test to see if I didn't screw up (it happens).
9 Added double sided tape for backing to keep it straight.
10 Reason for adding wedge socket is so I can revert to old bulb if need be.
11 Picture of install.
12 Seen from backseat.
13 After picture of trunk well lit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
13 after and before

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
I did this a little over a month ago and its one of my favorite and most useful mods. Looks good :)

Did the same under the hood and in the front by the windshield (no dome light)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It looks like a 194.

Just verified it is.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

I think I'm going to run a couple of strips (maybe 9 0r 12 LED's) as vanity lights either side of the console under dash to light floor and hook them up to dome dimmer.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This lights the whole trunk not just a spot. I tried one piece led bulb and prefer this by far.

·
Registered
985 Posts
This lights the whole trunk not just a spot. I tried one piece led bulb and prefer this by far.
Same, I tried an LED bulb that shot the light forward and out the sides and it didnt even come anywhere close to the light output of a strip.

·
Registered
924 Posts
ohh man i dont like this site. Im never going to have any money LOL
most of the mods I see i like
That just goes to show that many people here know how to mod cobalts, some things cost money, but much cheaper than anyone locally will charge, also, some mods that seem hard to do (because they are so great) are made really easy because of the tutorials here. I understand what your saying, "Oh my Gods, I want this, that and this and that, but it costs lots, we all want mods, but a few mods at a time you will be up with the rocking cobalts at the top, you and I are in the same situation, I'm wanting to mod my balt also, just gotta do it little by little.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That just goes to show that many people here know how to mod cobalts, some things cost money, but much cheaper than anyone locally will charge, also, some mods that seem hard to do (because they are so great) are made really easy because of the tutorials here. I understand what your saying, "Oh my Gods, I want this, that and this and that, but it costs lots, we all want mods, but a few mods at a time you will be up with the rocking cobalts at the top, you and I are in the same situation, I'm wanting to mod my balt also, just gotta do it little by little.
Yeah tell me about it. I think they officially love me at work now. Ive worked around 100 hours in the last 2 weeks minimum. much more motivation to get all those bills paid so i can start. shooting for being able to do appearance mods for the summer, and till then to get all the maintenance done (sparks, brakes, stabilizer link)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be improving my trunk LED strip in the coming weeks and I will post new pictures with details of fabrication. My aim is to get rid of the after glow and improve interchangeability and maybe add even more light.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.