Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 08 Cobalt on 2/29. This morning I just reached the 1000 mile mark. I remember years ago, it was recommended to change the oil after the first 1000. Is that still true? Or should I wait until 3000? My info display says oil life is 87%.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah def. between the first 500 and 1000 miles do a first change. and as far as the oil life indicator i watch two things the mileage and the color of the oil. when i'm in the mileage window i start watching the color of the oil when it starts getting dark i change it. Thats just my system but i've never seen anything that says its bad to change the oil early. I always thought it was the other way that causes probs. And as far as engineers go please remember the engineer when you work on a car and ask the heavens "why the hell did they put that where there's no freakin way to get a wrench in there?"

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The GM engineers are smart, they put things in weird spots to make you go out and get tools that do the job, and by the time you have finished a brake job, oil change, and bleeding the fluids, you will have all the tools you need to do any job on your car, lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought my 08 Cobalt on 2/29. This morning I just reached the 1000 mile mark. I remember years ago, it was recommended to change the oil after the first 1000. Is that still true? Or should I wait until 3000? My info display says oil life is 87%.

I just recently should of been whipped because I had the oil life indicator down to 20-25%. I was over 3000 miles. I got it changed finally. Its hard to het it changed when the dealership that honors the life time oil changes is in a different town you live and if you drop it off you never know if your going to be working over time and you might be out of a car for 24 hours. I usually change the oil at 3000 miles but last time I didnt. I felt bad for her. I now live in a different state and city, where am I going to find a dealership that will honor my free life time oil changes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you have the 2.2L, they sell a tool/socket at O'Reily's specifically to take care of that pain in the butt oil filter swap... You'll see what I mean...

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have the 2.2L, they sell a tool/socket at O'Reily's specifically to take care of that pain in the butt oil filter swap... You'll see what I mean...
Changing the oil and filter gave you problems? If you can't change the oil on the Cobalt without it giving you a hard time then you probably shouldn't be working on cars.

I remember reading about header and manifold swaps from different people/Cobalt sites and everyone was all complaining about how hard it was and how they're never doing another header swap on their cars. I was about a 3 difficulty out of 10 when I did mine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the 'balt, I've changed the oil when the oil life says to ...around 4% and 7,500 miles, faithfully since the day I bought her. Currently at 98,000 miles and still going strong.

My other cars I've done the 3000 mile route.

all depends on the type of driving you do.

Again, you'll get different opinions on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.