Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me any useful hints on perfecting the stick shift. I bought a 07 SS Supercharged a week ago and I've been driving it for about 3 of those days. I'm still not so gravy with the launch. Car still bucks a little bit but I don't stall it anymore. How long did you guys take to master the manual transmission, I mean on your very first take on it...:confused:

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Easiest way I have found to teach people to drive a stick is to take them to a empty parking lot. Have them continue to do take-off's and as soon as they get rolling I have them stop and do it again. I always tell people to try to hold the RPM's roughly around 1500-2k then roll out on the clutch. And the more I have them do it, the better they get. I can usually get someone to drive really well on the launches within 15 minutes. It's not that hard to do. If your car is bucking, then you're rolling the clutch out too fast. Slow down the clutch roll out a little bit and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm probably still a little bit nervous about it. it's the same feeling when i took my first drive. my co-worker told me that after a while it will be second nature and I would wonder how the heck did I learn to drive a stick shift... :)

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

first day i took it to my work, I was shaking and my heart was beating fast. I stalled twice on the way but I manage to get to my work safely.:sick:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Don't worry i was the same way when i got my cobalt in september. It does become second nature and it was kinda hard to believe but i believe it now! lol. Yea like someone said just ease off the clutch the most common thing beople do is let off of it fast. Don't worry dude you'll be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, i think i'm intimidated by my car (for now). It's a huge step up from my 08 Cobalt LS Sedan. actually it's a giant leap from my very first car, a 1997 Ford Aspire!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
first day i took it to my work, I was shaking and my heart was beating fast. I stalled twice on the way but I manage to get to my work safely.:sick:
oh gosh i used to get so shaky and nervous during the first month or so every time i drove the car (i was so afraid of rolling back into someone at a stop on hills- still kinda get apprehensive about that on some steep hills but i now know how to control it better so it's all good). it really does feel like you're having to learn to drive all over again. but yeah, it'll wear off as you get more confident. :-D

Don't worry i was the same way when i got my cobalt in september. It does become second nature and it was kinda hard to believe but i believe it now! lol. Yea like someone said just ease off the clutch the most common thing beople do is let off of it fast. Don't worry dude you'll be fine.
ditto, it does become more natural and you won't have to think about what you are doing as much as you use it more and more.

just keep driving it is really the key - you get the hang of it by doing. and that link above someone posted to the other thread with tips is really good too. g'luck! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, so i got the basics on driving a stick. question is, do i give it a little bit of gas while gently releasing the clutch from a full stop to get going? I read in some forums that they rev their engine to about 1000 to 2000 rpm then gently releases the clutch. is this right? or should i only apply gas when the clutch is on the friction point?:confused:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
^ Correct, bring the RPMs up just a bit and roll on the clutch slightly.. No car will be able to start in gear by itself unless it has tractor trailer torque. Dont take it from me though, I've only driven manual once in my boy's Jetta, only stalled once and never grinded/ jerked.. Not bad! :idea::suspicious: You'll get there slowly, just keep experimenting and soon enough it will be a pleasure and not a worry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, i think that's the missing link on my driving. i'm alright soon as i get going. it's just the launch that's kinda confusing me. I just watched some videos how they launch and yeah they give it a little bit of gas and slowly releases the clutch.

·
Registered
869 Posts
No car will be able to start in gear by itself unless it has tractor trailer torque.
Not true. I can get my car rolling and take off without giving it any gas whatsoever. I can also hold the car on an uphill grade without any input from the brakes or the gas. It's all about feeling your way through the clutch.

Camo, you did not master a clutch in three days. Maybe regular driving. There are a ton of subtleties to driving standard you couldn't possibly cover in three days. Especially if it was your first standard car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
yeah, prolly were smooth at it in three days but not master. i guarantee you werent rev matching and double clutching in three days. they're easy but takes practice. to get smooth at it it took me a bout an hour. (in a heavy F-150) ive been driving stick for four years now. everytime i get in an auto, without even thinking i feel for a clutch and my foot goes straight to the floor hard ha. and i get bored in an auto. A.D.D. sucks haha

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why give 50 different, conflicting tips in here when we have a sticky to use? I made it for a reason. Everything you need to know is in the link that XFE posted. It has a comprehensive listing of everything you could possibly cover in this topic, except the information is a) not wrong (like some "tips" in this thread), b) verified on two forums, and c) all in one place.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/transmission/14918-driving-manual-tips-tricks-everyone.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Camo, you did not master a clutch in three days. Maybe regular driving. There are a ton of subtleties to driving standard you couldn't possibly cover in three days. Especially if it was your first standard car.
This. Don't listen to the people here saying "I mastered it in X seconds/hours/days." They're either deluded or lying.

Yes, you can get the basics down and move the car within 5 minutes. Mastering it? Different story altogether. I'm usually considered to be pretty good, but I know that I don't know everything. The day you see a guy perfectly heel-and-toe a downshift to 6k rpm in 1rst in a heavy braking zone at the track is the day you remember you still don't know shit.

Learn at your own pace and don't listen to the clowns who tell you it should be happening faster.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why give 50 different, conflicting tips in here when we have a sticky to use? I made it for a reason. Everything you need to know is in the link that XFE posted. It has a comprehensive listing of everything you could possibly cover in this topic, except the information is a) not wrong (like some "tips" in this thread), b) verified on two forums, and c) all in one place.

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/transmission/14918-driving-manual-tips-tricks-everyone.html

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

This. Don't listen to the people here saying "I mastered it in X seconds/hours/days." They're either deluded or lying.

Yes, you can get the basics down and move the car within 5 minutes. Mastering it? Different story altogether. I'm usually considered to be pretty good, but I know that I don't know everything. The day you see a guy perfectly heel-and-toe a downshift to 6k rpm in 1rst in a heavy braking zone at the track is the day you remember you still don't know shit.

Learn at your own pace and don't listen to the clowns who tell you it should be happening faster.
Vety true ,cant master it like that It takees time
Maybe people think when they rolling in it they allready master it LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.