Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I put in a K&N drop in filter in my stock airbox (obviously). Anyways, I thought my MPG would improve but It actually dropped considerably. One more question/problem I've had since the filter change is that my coolant temp has been riding around 210-214. It normally never runs past 194 or so. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
i don't think the air filter can cause those coolant rises... the highest mine has ever gone was 210 after romping on it (SS Turbo)... maybe you are low on coolant? how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant is still at a safe level. Just under 40K. I've went up to like 220 before when I was romping on it. But this was like at idle.....waiting in line at McDonalds no less. lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
well car's do get hotter in idle than cruising... 220 seems high... did you recently have a coolant flush?... i think small air pockets can cause this...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldnt need a coolant lush at 40K right? lol I got all the way up to 214 while at idle tonight, so I shut off the car and let it cool down while I sat. Kinda freaked me out slightly since I literally JUST installed the drop in filter and it started acting wierd, heck idk. Theres also some talk that the oil off of the new filter might be screwing with my MAF sensor?

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh God not this issue, oil on MAF sensor... your engine light would come on if it was throwing a code.... you could drive it with the original filter and just see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello, I may be able to contribute. I put a K&N in mine w/ 3000mi. on it and saw no improvement, but I don't have to change it anymore. If the drop in mpg's coinsides w/ the filter install and rise in temps, sounds like it may be running lean. Try a fuel filter- then maybe injector cleaner and you should regain your milage and temp's drop. I would think if it's that bad a CEL would show.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may just do that. I've just never had this problem on any other vehicle I've put one on. Super homo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i've had issues on this vehicle i've never had either.... is not surprising lol...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
indeed sir, indeed. Well if it doesnt magically stop I guess I'll throw the old filter in it and see what happens. lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
worst case scenario, it is the filter.. you get your money back and see if AEM has a dry flow replacement... just as good, no oil

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Just so you guys know the fan does not kick on on our cobalts until 217* everyones cobalt gets temps like this, just no one notices it, it is normal while setting at idle to reach temps this high. As far as your gas millage, K and N Filter or any other drop in filter are great for ease of cleaning and not having to replace all the time. You will consistently get the same gas millage for a longer period also because the K and N does not clog up as fast as a paper filter.
As far as a gain in gas millage no one ever gets a gain that is noticeable on a newer vehicle, if they say they do it is because they replaced their old plugged filter with a new one and they saw improvement. On older vehicles a drop in filter can make a difference, but the only advantage you are going to see is that you will never have to spend money on a filter again. I have argued with people before about this, with our cars and all newer model cars, the car it's self should notice the change in airflow and adjust the fuel for optimal gas millage, side be side on our cars brand new a K and N should yield no different numbers than a brand new paper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.