Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The buttons in Cobalt (and some other GM vehicles) key fobs are prone to wear in such a way that some buttons may work and some do not. An easy and very inexpensive fix for this is to replace the case (buttons included), retaining the electronics module inside. GM never told us about this did they ?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

See here for case and vehicles covered

Amazon.com: New PAD + 5 Buttons for Gm Remote KEY Keyless Car Case No Chips Inside: Camera & Photo

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I do this all the time for friends I always keep a box full of shells and buttons.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

An other way if the buttons aren't availlable is to punch out a piece of airduct tape and apply it to the worn out button pad. It already has glue on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
These are just shells, but I might have one hanging around. Do you want one with or without remote start?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I want to open mine up, took me forever to autostart, might be the battery tho

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Auto start is the weakess signal on the KeyFOB. Plus it won't work if you have difficulty with your lock button if it's wore out. Battery under 3Volts I replace. The red button is the strongest signal at almost 3 times the power of lock, un-lock and trunk lid.

·
Registered
803 Posts
no start button needed, just unlock my door and pop trunk would be all i would want

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I should be able to find a battery for fobs in plenty places im sure? i want to replace the battery this weekend to see if that's what it is. If it's the weak buttons i shall use air duct tape! lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bronx,

Any auto parts store should have em. I just replaced mine for $4.00. I believe the battery size is CR2032.

Hijack: Does anyone know a way to reprogram them since mine is toast? Bought the car used Friday and noticed the key fob didnt work. Figured it was just a battery and no big deal. Opened it up to replace the battery at the parts store. Boom, the batter holder has broken off. Figured I could solder it on. Nope, not happening. So, I plan on ordering one from ebay. Do you nkow of a way to program them without taking it t the dealership?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
thanks flobalt!

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

This was found in the manual, also the battery i needed :laugh:

Programming Transmitters to the
Vehicle

Only RKE transmitters programmed to the vehicle will
work. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement
can be purchased and programmed through your
dealer/retailer. When the replacement transmitter is
programmed to the vehicle, all remaining transmitters
must also be programmed. Any lost or stolen
transmitters no longer work once the new transmitter
is programmed. Each vehicle can have up to four
transmitters programmed to it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Bronx,

Hijack: Does anyone know a way to reprogram them since mine is toast? Bought the car used Friday and noticed the key fob didnt work. Figured it was just a battery and no big deal. Opened it up to replace the battery at the parts store. Boom, the batter holder has broken off. Figured I could solder it on. Nope, not happening. So, I plan on ordering one from ebay. Do you nkow of a way to program them without taking it t the dealership?
Anybody that has a Tech2 or comparable OBDII CANDI programmer can do this. Special functions in BCM is where you find the command. I use a Tech2, it takes about 2 mins to add a FOB.

Why could you not resolder the battery clip again? I fix 5 or 6 a week and it's never a problem to resolder the clip. Remove the clip, clean all the old solder, add a bit of flux and resolder. Works everytime.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anybody that has a Tech2 or comparable OBDII CANDI programmer can do this. Special functions in BCM is where you find the command. I use a Tech2, it takes about 2 mins to add a FOB.

Why could you not resolder the battery clip agan? I fix 5 or 6 a week and it's never a problem to resolder the clip. Remove the clip, clean all the old solder, add a bit of flux and resolder. Works everytime.
I think I may put some thing under the buttons and give it a whirl. Maybe my solder is just fine. Only problem is I could only solder half of it. The other half disappeared. Im missing the right side. I got the main connection and left sink set just no right. It looks like it makes a good connection.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Oh! Never had that happen. Add a small piece of foam on top of battery to apply a slight pressure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought two CR2032 batteries for $1.75 at my nearby big box electronics store (Fry's)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
New they should read at least 3.3Volts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.