• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my 1997 Ford F150 has been leaking oil for awhile. Found out the leak is coming from the tensioner rubbing against the timing chain cover for awhile. To replace the timing chain cover involves removing a whole lot of the engine just to get to it. Like the intake manifold, intake, throttle body, headers, all kinds of things. Also both front wheel bearings are shot and need replaced. Monro muffler estimated that at $1000. It's a 1997 with 120000 miles on it. Should I just put the money towards fixing it towards a new truck? Any opinions would be appreciated on what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
BS on the hubs, I just got one replaced on my 2000 Ram for only $210. If it wasnt raining off and on at the time I would have done it myself for jsut the $150 cost of the hub. The hubs are easy to replace yourself.

I would get a second opinion on those repairs as you should not need to remove the exhaust headers for any repair to the fron of the engine unless you have to remove the heads.

The newer trucks IMO arent all that great, too many power options that you do not need.

·
Registered
253 Posts
heres the issue.. yeah its a 1000 dollars but would either spending 15k+ on a new truck or making payments be beneficial?! i say fix it.. run it for a few more years then buy a new one.. save yourself payments or spending more outta pocket..!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
heres the issue.. yeah its a 1000 dollars but would either spending 15k+ on a new truck or making payments be beneficial?! i say fix it.. run it for a few more years then buy a new one.. save yourself payments or spending more outta pocket..!

15K for a new truck?? You cannot even think about a new truck for under $20-$25K, and that is the "base" models. That is why I had my motor replaced and still have my 2000 Ram, $2700 is a lot better than $500-$600 a month plus the full coverage insurance on a new truck.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah but who knows what more problems I'll incur with my current truck, and I was going to have foximus motorsports do the timing chain cover, its really in an inconvienent spot so it would take a lot of labor to get it replaced. The bearings I'll look more into it.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

and if I did get a new truck I would probably get a slightly used one as long as it was 4wd

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Not hard to fix any of that yourself.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Yes, it doesn't sound like it has anything terminally wrong with it.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
My camaro had the same issue with the oil leaked caused by a loose balancer rubbing through the timing chain cover. - it's a real easy fix once you get down to that part...

And wheel bearings aren't hard either...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.