Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock flex pipe on my 05 2.2L is cracked. The quote I got was for $550 which seems ridiculous. Mechanic said he would have to replace the entire exhaust system which sounds like a load of garbage to me. Anyone have insight on this? Maybe I could buy an aftermarket downpipe and just install it myself? Any advice would be huge as $550 would kill my vacation dreams rn.

·
Registered
547 Posts
bullsh*t mine broke and was covered under the emissions warranty for 80k miles if your over that u might have to pay out of pocket but when they fixed mine the only replaced the downpipe cause thats where the flex pipe is and the cat converter i think did u take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
803 Posts
if its not under warranty i have the stock dp (with a perfectly good flex pipe) i can sell you cheap. its from an 08 ls L61 engine

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or go to a small garage with a real mechanic and welded. He will cut the old flex pipe and weld a new one in for 150$

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can get a performance dp and header for like 380 at zzp, dp only is like 180. 550 is a garbage offer.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Whats the labour rate of the midas he took it to? It may not actually be that bad of an offer. Dont forget blackbalt ontop of that $180 for the dp you have shipping and then you have to get a tune at like $250+ there. $430 and you still need to pay for shipping and possibly need to pay to get the pipe installed if he doesnt have the knowledge/tools

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I am aware. I was just making an example if he wanted to upgrade, stock pipes are typically cheaper and if you have a problem removing five bolts and sliding the new dp in, than you should be paying 500.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

Stock replacement for 210, just put it in yourself it only takes a couple minutes...

Chevrolet Cobalt 2005 2006 2007 Catalytic Converter flex down pipe 2.2 ** NEW ** | eBay

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
NP, it is super easy. Let us know if you have any other questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.