Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gasket on my flex pipe is shot. (Thankfully the flex is ok...)

Any tips on separating the flange from the manifold? My Cobalt is a 2005.. I assume the bolts are at least somewhat rusted on... There seems to be 3 X 15mm nuts on studs? I don't have a hoist, so I would like some advice on how to get in, replace it and get out as efficiently and simply as possible.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Some stuff you just can't do yourself. Crack your piggy bank and get your car on a hoist, you will need torches to heat the nuts to pull them off. Get a new gasket and 3 new nuts have them installed and pay the man. They have famillies to support too.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Some stuff you just can't do yourself. Crack your piggy bank and get your car on a hoist, you will need torches to heat the nuts to pull them off. Get a new gasket and 3 new nuts have them installed and pay the man. They have famillies to support too.
Yup. I'm with coby. If you snap one of those studs while trying to take off a nut, then you're going to be going to an exhaust shop anyway. Get to rough with it and you could damage the flex

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the concern guys. :)

I'm just looking for some tips from the pros to prevent some unexpected snafus. Are there any techs on here?

I don't have acetylene torches but I do have MAP gas. I also read that using 50/50 acetone/ATF makes an excelent penetrating fluid.

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.