Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Cobalt LS, and like the title says it has a really rough idle where the lights flickering and I'm getting both a P0300 code and a P0650. I just got the car a few weeks ago, it as almost 100,000 miles on it now. Sometimes it runs almost smoothly with very little to no flickering lights, other times it's bad. It also stalled on me one time while sitting in a parking lot, but that hasn't happened since. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground, possibly behind the instrument cluster due to the P0650 code. Does this seem like a reasonable suspicion? And if I pulled the fuse to the cluster and started it up, could that possibly confirm anything?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like somebody put the wrong spark plugs in or they've never been changed at all. Use only ACDelco dual iridium and they come pre-gapped. Don't try to gap these plugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like somebody put the wrong spark plugs in or they've never been changed at all. Use only ACDelco dual iridium and they come pre-gapped. Don't try to gap these plugs.
The plugs are new but I'm not sure what type they are other than that they're ACDelco.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Is it the original coil pack? Those are known to go bad and start arcing. If you you have a code reader that lets you count misfires see if you have higher misfires on 2 cylinders, this will indicate a bad coil pack.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it the original coil pack? Those are known to go bad and start arcing. If you you have a code reader that lets you count misfires see if you have higher misfires on 2 cylinders, this will indicate a bad coil pack.
I do believe it's the original coil pack. I've e been considering replacing it but I thought I should rule out a bad ground before I throw parts at it.

There's sometimes an issue where both the parking brake light and check engine light don't show up, and when that happens the heater will only blow out of the main vents. Defrost won't work, cruise control won't work, etc. So I was thinking there's could be a loose connection or bad ground perhaps which would explain the P0650 code.

Sometimes the voltage jumps around between 13 and about 15.4 when the car is on, other times it stays in 14 volts area. My code reader doesn't show misfire counts, but I have a short video of the live data as well as a video showing the pulsing lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have a 2008 2.2 and she’s been running really poor. Surging while trying to maintain speed. Then I got a code for running too lean. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I do believe it's the original coil pack. I've e been considering replacing it but I thought I should rule out a bad ground before I throw parts at it.

There's sometimes an issue where both the parking brake light and check engine light don't show up, and when that happens the heater will only blow out of the main vents. Defrost won't work, cruise control won't work, etc. So I was thinking there's could be a loose connection or bad ground perhaps which would explain the P0650 code.

Sometimes the voltage jumps around between 13 and about 15.4 when the car is on, other times it stays in 14 volts area. My code reader doesn't show misfire counts, but I have a short video of the live data as well as a video showing the pulsing lights.
Ah! Did you check the grounds under the driver's seat?

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Hi I have a 2008 2.2 and she’s been running really poor. Surging while trying to maintain speed. Then I got a code for running too lean. Any help?
Leaking intake. Check clamps and look for holes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah! Did you check the grounds under the driver's seat?
I haven't checked that ground yet. I've checked all the grounds under the hood, and the one in the trunk and only one looked iffy and I went ahead and cleaned it. I'll be sure to take a look at the one under the driver's seat though now that you mention it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I checked under the seat but I'm not sure if I've found a problem. I see a red wire and a yellow wire, but the connector that they go into feels pretty flimsy. Just brushing my fingers against it while feeling around was easily moving it. Is it it supposed to be like that? I hope to check again a little more thoroughly, but right now I'm just going on video from where I shoved my phone under there with a light and recorded.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry, the ground under the seat is under the carpet under the seat. I should have explained that better. there will be a clump of wires and a tie point to ground on a stud protruding from the floor panel. You will have to take the seat out for this one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, the ground under the seat is under the carpet under the seat. I should have explained that better. there will be a clump of wires and a tie point to ground on a stud protruding from the floor panel. You will have to take the seat out for this one.
Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying. Is there any special process or just removing a few bolts and pulling it out?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
d
Disconnect connectors first. 2 nuts on the front rails, lift pull ahead and out. Once Seat is out lift carpet at the seam and you'll see the clump of wires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
d
Disconnect connectors first. 2 nuts on the front rails, lift pull ahead and out. Once Seat is out lift carpet at the seam and you'll see the clump of wires.
Thanks a lot Coby! I'll check that out hopefully within a day or two and report back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, but another quick question. Where can I find out what sort of reading I should be seeing when I look at the live data for the MAP sensor and the MAF sensor and things like that? I haven't been able to find hardly any information on that sort of thing so I have all this data that I can't really interpret.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, Coby, I've been thinking today and realized I might just be an idiot.
Back when I first checked the spark plugs I noticed one coil boot had a small amount of what appeared to be dirty oil on the bottom. There was no oil on the plug, and since the misfires were on all cylinders I dismissed it as being the problem since I figured the misfire would be on that one cylinder only if that were the problem. I didn't even consider that the oil could have shorted the coil pack, causing a P0300. So now I'm thinking I need to replace the valve cover gasket and the coil pack, and possibly spark plugs as well to be safe. I also recall making a mental note that the first spark plug well had a white colored coating on it that I'm now suspecting is the result of water somehow getting in the well. Between these two things I'm fairly certain the coil pack is probably the culprit now. I'm still going to check that ground though, as I don't think the coil pack explains all the symptoms I'm having.

Does this sound reasonable? The oil in the well was a very small amount so I'm not completely sure about this new conclusion I've drawn.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My wife's G6 all have oil in the plug holes and no misfire.

White plug tip means you are running a little lean, but these cars all run lean.

On an 06 there's one coil pack consisting of 2 coils. Usually when it starts to go you will get a P0300 because you will have 2 cylinders misfiring.
If you look at the data eventually you will get the corresponding plug code and it's mate to that coil P0301, P0304 or P0302, P0303. I may have these mixed, going by memory.

Check your plugs and make sure they are ACDelco # 41-105 or GM# 12607280 Iridium Spark Plugs. Only thing that works properly with that engine.

When you install these you have to be careful not to bump the tip because you can't re-gap these plug. Even if you are really careful trying you may knock off the iridium material either on the anode or the cathode.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I'll pull the plugs and check for that. I've attached and image of the bottom of this coil boot, this is the one where the oil was. I'm not sure if the discoloration is anything to be concerned with or not. Does that look like normal wear?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah, that's normal, the white stuff is dried residue from the type of grease they put at the factory to try to eliminate the possibility of moisture from getting in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I've checked the plugs and they're the correct type. I've attached an image showing their condition. I'm having having difficulty finding the nut I need to remove to get the seat out, granted I haven't checked as thoroughly as I could have yet. I think I'm going to replace the coil pack and see what happens. I'm also attaching an image showing the white build up in the plug well. The others are clean, only this one has the build up in it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nothing wrong with that plug, and that white stuff is just aluminium oxide, nothing to worry about. And as far as the coil pack, if it's the original it wouldn't hurt changing it. If it isn't bad it's about to be, it's called preventative maintenance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.