Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing fluid and filter I added 6 quarts of fluid. I let the transmission warm up and shifted through the gears. I then removed the check plug and added fluid. The car was running in park. I added 2 more quarts and not a drop from the hole. The car was level when I added the fluid. Do I continue to add fluid? Prior to changing the fluid I added fluid to make sure I wasn't low and I did get fluid flow from the hole.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You have to add fluid until it flows from the hole, that's when you know it's full. Transmission has to be at operating temperature with engine running.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Dry, the trans will take 12.9 quarts, and just removing the lower pan should only require 7 quarts. But it's possible more drained out. It's not possible to overfill the trans as long as you refill it following the procedure (which you are), as it'll push the excess fluid right out that hole.

I thought it was a stupid and annoying way to do it, prior to actually doing it, and then I found out just how easy and foolproof it was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.