Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have an auto dont know much about transmissions. Can someone explain to me what I could do besides shift plus to make the transmission better. Does an auto have some kind of flywheel or is it called a flexplate and what exactly is a torque converter?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow nobody....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
you dont have a flywheel. in automatics they are flex plates. and usually the lighter the better

what would do the most for you is a high stall torque converter. as far as i know there isnt a company that makes them. unless ive just looked in all the wrong places. that being said you could either take the down time on your car and have yours sent out or find one for sale and send it out

im currently looking for a core for my 2.2 but havnet had any luck yet

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a lighter flex plate would do nothing as its connected to a heavy torque conv. or so this is what ive heard and what exactly does a high stall torque conv. do???

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It basically allows you to press the break and gas at the same time so you can bring your RPMs up, let go of your break and get a better launch.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OK I have an auto dont know much about transmissions. Can someone explain to me what I could do besides shift plus to make the transmission better. Does an auto have some kind of flywheel or is it called a flexplate and what exactly is a torque converter?
Torque Converter 101:laugh:
TC ia a three part hydraulically operated device that replaces a clutch and pressure plate assembly to allow for a full automatic transmission. they are very misunderstood. there is an impeller (driven by the engine), a turbine (what gets driven by the impeller and provides the input to the tranny), and a Stator assembly (without the stator it would just be a fluid coupler). It is called a torque converter because UNDER ACCELERATION it actually multiplies torque (and only under acceleration). to understand this you have to understand the properties of fluids (I'm not going to try to define that now). The blades inside a converter are specially curved and the fluid just doesn't go around the converter, rather it is scooped up by the impeller blades and forced into the turbines blades. The fluid goes in a corkscrew as it goes around the converter. The turbine blades force the fluid into the stator where it is diverted back into the impeller (this is where the torque multiplication occurs). However, as the impeller's and the turbine's RPM become close the stator begins to impede the flow of the fluid and releases (the stator is on a one-way roller clutch) as long as the converter is under accelleration the stator stays locked but under cruise and coast the stator freewheels in the opposite direction so it doesn't impede the fluid flow. This is why you will find TCs have a torque multiplication value (usually 1.1 to 1.3 for stock cars and higher for performance ones). Stall speed is something different -- a "loose" or high stall converter simply allows the engine to get into it's powerband quicker so the car can accellerate off the line quicker. This is accomplished by reducing the efficiency of either the stator or the impeller blades.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
honestly, manual swap is your best bet. if you wanna stick with auto, I'd say shift kit and anything lighweight you can find to give you better response

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What all is necessary for a manual swap besides a butt load of cash a spare car and tons of patience.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
honestly, manual swap is your best bet. if you wanna stick with auto, I'd say shift kit and anything lighweight you can find to give you better response
swapping a manual for an automatic is not an easy task...more than the tranny has to be replaced.this is not a good idea...if you want a manual trade in your auto car for one with a manual.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
its not EASY but Its not as hard as people think. my friend just did an auto to manual swap on his civic... in such a new car it might not be the best idea though i guess

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
can u even get an auto ss tranny?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
what about swapping an ls tranny for an ss tranny?
The only benefit is it would be stronger, and if you got the LSD Besides that it would only make you slower, the SS has a higher gear ratio. So if you put an LS/LT tranny in an SS it would be faster, but eventually kill the tranny.

can u even get an auto ss tranny?
No such thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok ive decided to do nothing and focus my efforts elsewhere thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
its not EASY but Its not as hard as people think. my friend just did an auto to manual swap on his civic... in such a new car it might not be the best idea though i guess
Your friend swapped a tranny out in a car that is not all computer controlled. In those cars it is easy -- just change out the trannys. In the Cobalt the engine and tranny are controlled by computer modules that "talk" to one another ...and even go through a brake control module. Physically you can swap out the trannys like any other car -- BUT -- taking out the tranny control module will screw up the engine control module and possibly the brake control module. Now you have a car that doesn't run....unless you get all the control modules from a donor car and run all the wiring and etc, etc, etc.

the Cobalt is a true "throw away car"...imagine trying to keep it running years from now after warranty is up. Just going to a wrecking yard to find parts will be hampered by the computer problem...a 2.4L tranny will fit a 2.2L engine but you'll have problems because the gear ratio is different and the input and output speeds will be detected as a problem by the computer...so you'll also need to be able to change computer settings too...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ooohhhhhhhh. that might be a bit of a problem lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.