Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumped in the Cobalt this morning and discovered that the fog lights quit working. The light comes on in the dash but no fog lights. I can see one burned out bulb, but for both of them to go at once? Plus, I have just replaced on not too long ago! Anyone have anything like this happen? I am thinking that it may be the relay or something. Wonder if GM extended warranty will cover it?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check bulbs first. If they were close in the production line and are on at the same time with the same voltage their life expectancy will be similar.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced a bulb about 3 months ago. I will double check them but they are not stock either...I replaced them with Silver Star bulbs. I still have one spare to test...I do think it is a relay or something.

Does anyone know off hand where the fuse or relay is located?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Underhood fuse block and I don't see a relay.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Underhood fuse block 15A fuse and I don't see a relay.

Oops!

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm gonna dig into it at lunch time today!

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hope your lunch-time investigation gets you some answers, RocketFoot. Looking forward to an update.
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope your lunch-time investigation gets you some answers, RocketFoot. Looking forward to an update.
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Bulbs look good and the 15a fuse is fine. Not sure what it would be! Will my extended GM Warranty cover it from here?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Switch???

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Switch???
The switch seems to function as the little green light in the cluster goes on and off...unless the switch has a built in relay or something??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It is a different contact for the little light. Are you sure your bulbs are good?

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I pulled the driver's side out and it seems fine. I've seen burned out ones and this one was still nice and clear.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you look at the filament to make sure it was continuous? A burnt bulb doesn't always turn black especially if it's fairly new. Some filaments will open just from a good bump.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a brand new spare so maybe I'll put it in just to make sure...I just can't imagine two bulbs going simultaneously!

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I couldn't find my spare so I had to order a pair from ebay ($30 shipped!) They got here yesterday and I tested them out...old bulbs were blown! I can't see a bad element but the new ones work fine! I almost wish it was another problem because now I am wondering what the hell caused both bulbs to blow simultaneously? Power surge? Short circuit?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Could just be a freak occurance. I had my fan fuse blow on my IROC for no reason whatsoever, in the middle of winter. Coolant was bubbling nicely my the time I nursed it home...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Hate to say "I told you so" so I won't. Maybe they didn't blow at the same time. Maybe you only noticed after you had no fog lights at all. Maybe one failed a week before the other but since you still had light from one you only noticed when the other one burnt.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I dunno, My HVAC bulbs all blew at once too, all 4 of them, all over night. Strange things happen in the cobalt sometimes...

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I had just checked all my lights Saturday morning at the gas station and by Monday, both fogs were toast? :blink:

I'm used to seeing capsule bulbs turn black when they smoke but these ones are still perfectly clear...they just don't work!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Made in China???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.