Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frist Problem with My Cobalt and Its Not Good

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bsbllscnd970 
#1 ·
ok so i did a oil change to my 09 cobalt lt changed it with rp 5w30 and i got home from work that morning [work nights] amd i hear my motor making a ticking noise but its like ticking but with liquid there so it not a full metal on metal tick i guess its hard to explane how it sounds. i went up to advanced and i told them i used rp 5w30 and they think its something mechanicly wrong with my car and they said sometimes deals put heavyer weight oil in motors to cover up sounds

#11 ·
Just bring it to the attention of the dealer next time you go for an oil chage there or get them to check into it.

#13 ·
the dealers put in heavier oil to cover up sounds lol thats the most retarded thing i ever heard. why would they do that? so you can bring the car back later and be like its not working right when they could have fixed it in the first place? lol. my cat went on my s10 and i didnt know so i made advanced auto do a code search and the guy said a tune up would fix it lol

#15 ·
You really have to describe the circumstances of the problem a lot better than you have. Engines can make 'ticking noises' for a number of reasons. I also can't wrap my brain around the idea of a 'kind of liquid' ticking noise. A tick is a noise caused by two solid objects colliding with one another.

Generally speaking putting oil of the appropriate weight into an engine doesn't cause issues with it. Also why would the dealership cover up the noise? Chances are the maintenance department would be itching to do any neccesary waranty work because they likely get paid by the job and there is no reason for a customer to say "no" to free work. So you're right, people do want to make as much money as possible, which is why the mechanics at the dealership would be tripping over themselves to convince a customer to have waranty work done.

The Dealership gets paid by the manufacturer for parts and labour on waranty work (they are a separate business, just like the convenience store with the pepsi sign on the outside isn't owned by pepsi), more incentive for them to bring a new or newer vehicle up to standard. A third party mechanic, however has plenty of incentive to convince you that there is a great dealership conspiracy at play that only their costly services can fix.

Bring it to the dealership. They won't charge you for a diagnosis and since the car is still under the manufacturers waranty they will gladly fix any problems that they find (for free).

#16 ·
only advice i can give based on the limited info is dont EVER take ur car to a stealership for anything. i have only taken mine in for the power steering recall. but ive never had a single issue so far (i have 110k miles), because i do all the work myself. they will rip you off any chance they get and many arent as knowledgeable as you might think. if u have any problems with it then take it to a reputable auto repair place, and do all the basic maintenance yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.