Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a month or so my front brakes have been locking up and smoking. Midas changed out my master cylinder, that didn't work. They changed out my front calipers, rotors and pads and it's still the same, I have no money now to fix this, what could be the problem?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably the rubber brake lines that attach to the caliper. If the caliper guide pins are lubricated and the piston in the caliper is sliding the way it should and master cylinder is also fine than the only thing left is the brake lines. I've heard that they can rust and get containments inside the brake lines and if the brake fluid doesn't retract back after you pump the brakes than it won't release the piston so your brakes will stay on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brake hoses may also be twisted due to improper installation of the caliper which I've heard also can affect the performance. Also I've heard crimping the brake lines with wrong tool such as using vice grips when bleeding brake fluid and/or changing calipers can also damage the brake hoses. Link: Brake Hose Service Ideas Part 4 - Phoenix Systems
I have no choice, but take it to the dealer for a brake checkup when I have the money, it'll be 125 bucks and a local mechanic wants 107 for it so I might as well take it to people that specialize in chevy and stop wasting my money on guess jobs, I'm in the hole for 2k on the brakes which is rediculous. Maybe the problem is my abs? I took it to a free inspection this morning and they put it on the rack, they could barely move the wheels around it was so locked up. So I guess I wait til October when I can use that check to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bet they overlooked the brake hoses. Any time I am replacing a customers calipers, I try and sell the hoses. Because they will collapse internally, and also deteriorate. That is one reason the fluid turns into a dark brown color, due to the rubber deteriorating and contaminating the fluid. The hose collapsing will cause the calipers to not release the fluid back into the master cylinder when the brake pedal is released.

Also, brake fluid should be changed about every 5 years. Although most people do not ever change it, or know it has a service life span. It absorbs moisture and will become acidic, in turn deteriorating the brake system’s many components. I have had to replace many abs units due to owner neglect of service of the brake fluid.

If they have replaced the calipers, they should have had brand new caliper pins included. They should have not reused they old ones. I have seen a lot of bad things do by Midas, at least locally. They are not great at being mechanics if you ask me and don’t hire the best techs. If they diagnosed your brake problems and replaced all of those parts, they should have been sure they were going to work. I know there are a lot of people that should not be working on brake systems. A poorly trained individual can make a lot of mistakes and be flat out dangerous doing brake work, so you must be careful when doing brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet they overlooked the brake hoses. Any time I am replacing a customers calipers, I try and sell the hoses. Because they will collapse internally, and also deteriorate. That is one reason the fluid turns into a dark brown color, due to the rubber deteriorating and contaminating the fluid. The hose collapsing will cause the calipers to not release the fluid back into the master cylinder when the brake pedal is released.

Also, brake fluid should be changed about every 5 years. Although most people do not ever change it, or know it has a service life span. It absorbs moisture and will become acidic, in turn deteriorating the brake system’s many components. I have had to replace many abs units due to owner neglect of service of the brake fluid.

If they have replaced the calipers, they should have had brand new caliper pins included. They should have not reused they old ones. I have seen a lot of bad things do by Midas, at least locally. They are not great at being mechanics if you ask me and don’t hire the best techs. If they diagnosed your brake problems and replaced all of those parts, they should have been sure they were going to work. I know there are a lot of people that should not be working on brake systems. A poorly trained individual can make a lot of mistakes and be flat out dangerous doing brake work, so you must be careful when doing brakes.
Like I said I'm not going back to them for anything and am going to the dealer. I just sold a modded Xbox so I have some money sooner and will use that asap with the dealer

·
Registered
30 Posts
For $330.85 CAD I just got remanufacturer calipers on FL and FR (including guide pins and new brake hardware). They were painted black which looks a lot nicer than the rust look of the old set. That bill also included a set of new pads on FL and FR. Also included a container of dot 3 brake fluid and synthetic brake lubricant. Admittedly I didn't change the hoses although after I check my prior service work bills to verify if they were replaced already I plan to replace the hoses and do a complete brake fluid flush before winter sets in if required.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my money in so Wednesday or Thursday I'll take it in for a diagnostic on the brakes and see, can't fix it right now, but I can at least see what the crap is wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts